JS100 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JS100

Purchased from: Music123

It fits my music style exactly, as a I play lots of guitar virtuoso (Satriani's type of music), hard rock, and some punk. I currently use a Marshall amp and use Boss distortion, octave, and wah. The guitar does produce some fuzz and feedback, but that is usually on overdrive/distortion. I use the DiMarzio pickups which give a very rich and solid sound. Using Ibanez's pickups produce a hollow and weak sound. These are from a amp setting of middle on an 8 and bass and treble on a 5.

I have been playing for almost a year and I am into hard rock (AC/DC, Metallica, etc.) and guitar virtuoso (Joe Satraini, Steve Vai, Jason Becker, etc.) This guitar definetaly suits my taste. I also own a Fender Strat, 3 Boss effects pedal, one Marshall amp, one Crate amp, and one Crate amp head. I always wonder why this guitar was made in Korea, because this guitar is just as good as the JS1000 aside the Presitge neck, Edge Pro bridge, and DiMarzio humbuckers. Maybe that's why there's a $500 price difference between the two axes. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I'd defenietly get this guitar again, except the JS1000. I love the price of this guitar, but I really hate the Ibanez pickups and the pop-in tremolo. I would love to replace the bridge to an Edge Pro and the neck to a Prestige.

This guitar is amazing. I have only played this guitar in one school band performance, and it withstood. The hardware seems very durable, and it produces an image that this guitar will last me at least 5-6 years. Although if you're a heavy punk rocker or a person prone to excessive sweating, you might want to stay away from this guitar. There are huge gaps between the humbuckers and the humbucker cover (roughly. 20") and if your sweat was to ever enter through the holes, your humbuckers would fry extra crispy. I defineatly could depend on it, but my style is never to go to a gig without a backup guitar. I retightened all screws necessary, so I would advise you to do the same. The finish of the guitar is weak. If you were to accidentally scrape the guitar on a desk, a huge paint chip would come off. I got mine repainted by a professional, so it has the finish durabilty of a Fender Strat, yet it has the Shine and gloss of the JS100's original colors.

The guitar was setup extrodinary well. The only problem I have with such a guitar is the pop-in tremolo. Unlike the JS1000, JS1200, and JS2000, this guitar does not include a screw in tremolo. This is not a matter that should affect your decision in purchasing this guitar. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, but they had to be retightened into the body of the guitar. The electronics were properly and neatly routed, which proved a sigh of relief for me when I rerouted my DiMarzio pickups in it. I returned the previous JS100 before I recevied this one because it was not tonated properly, the bridge was not parallel with the body of the guitar, and it had a dent, but this is the fault of Music123. My current one is absolutely flawless. It even came full tuned and it was tonated properly.

This guitar was made in Korea. Although not necessarily the best placed to make a guitar, it's still decent. The neck is a Joe Satriani signaure neck with 22 frets. It is made of maple and carries medium size frets, which is great for fast action neck playing. The finish is a black gloss. The body style is Joe Satriani's custom designed body. It is a combo of the RG and the S. This is not as thin as the S series, nor is it as thick as the RG. The bridge is Ibanez's exclusive Edge Pro II bridge. The pickups are stock Ibanez active humbucking pickups. I highly recommend purchasing DiMarzio pickups to replace the Ibanez stock. Included on the guitar is a volume knob, tone knob, and a 3-way tone selector. The tuning and tuners on the guitar are double-locking and are Ibanez tuners. When you purchase the guitar, you get 3 different size allen wrenches, a guitar cable, and a pop-in tremolo bar.