JS100 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JS100

Purchased from: sound control

This guitar suits my style perfectly. It has the response to play jazz and blues, but due to the basswood body and pickups can quite easily be used for metal and very heavy music. The only thing I would say is you can play drop-D tuning, but dont tune the whole guitar down. Floyd rose style bridges are no good for low tunings. I have a PRS that I have tuned to B relative. But I still play this guitar more purely for the tone and playability. The bridge lets yo get very good tremelo sounds. A must for guitar vituoso. But like I said, I would recomend an upgrade to dimarzio pickups. For pure tone I would say use Fred on the bride and the Paf_Joe on the neck.

All in all this guitar is amazing. Once the pickups are changed it has the tone of one of the best guitarists to ever walk on the Earth. And becuase of the versitility can be used as an amazing guitar for any style. The body is very very ergonimic and also very sexy. My next guitar will be exactly the same. I want another one of these for a backup. I may possibly have the tremelo blocked and use this for low tunings. If you have any sense or taste at all buy this guitar!

This guitar is awesome for live playing. It keeps in tune brilliantly. Better than other locking tremelo's as well. People have said don't use it if you play heavy stuff as your sweat will fry the pickups. But that's a load of s--t becuase I have played death metal gigs and I have shred all over the place and I still have yet to have a drop of sweat leave my hand and go down into the humbuckers. But if you sweat excesively, I suppiose it couldnt hurt to keep this in mind. The hardware is built like a tank and is very very strong. The strap buttons are very solid and seem to hold the strap better than most. I haven't had to buy strap locks for this guitar. I would trust this guitar with my life.

The action is very very good on this guitar. Brilliant for playabilty and fretboard gymnastics. I changed the 9's for 10's, this raised the bridge slightly more than I would have liked but I chose to lower the action rather than tighten the springs and the tone was much better. Although the finish of this guitar is not very strong, it is still very beautifull. I keep thinking about having it sent off for a custom paint job but each time I look at it I can't bring myself to becuase it is pure style.

The features of this guitar are awesome. I play a lot of Steve Via and Satriani as well as anything from classic rock and blues to trash and death metal. It has a 22 fret neck which is plenty as the neck is so smooth you can quite easily bend far enough for a 24th fret pitch. The basswood body is fantastic for tone. You can get near enough any tone you could dream of providing you arent playing through an amp that will limit your sound. The basswood is also very light and the body is extremely well contoured for comfort. Easily the most ergonomic guitar I have every played. The bridge is the Ibanez Edge-Pro II which is fantastic. It functions as a floyd rose, but has slightly better tone in my opinion, sinks right into thed body withough sticking up at the tail as is the floyd rose, and you don't have to cut off the ball end of the strings. The only downside is that this bridge has a pop-in whammy bar rather than a screw in bit once you're used to this it really doesnt matter. The humbuckers should be replaced with the DiMarzio's if you want serious tone. But the Ibanez ones are great all the same. they have coil tap so you dont need that extra pickup from the Jem, as you can change these into single-coil quite easily.