JS100 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JS100

First, the pickups. Running through my Peavey Vypyr 75, the cleans on this are great. As a humbucker, the neck definitely maintains its low end, but kind of cuts the highs, I like for a neck pup to have some versatility, so this is a down. But with the coil tap engaged it produces very smooth cleans, not as bright as traditional single coils, but still a smooth jazzy sound. The bridge sounds similar to the neck, but just a little bit brighter. Both pickups definitely lack output so that is a major flaw for me.

I give this guitar a 7.5/10 because it catches that legato feel in Satch's music which is what the guitar was made for. I've been playing for three years and this is actually one of the better guitars that I have played in my "career." If it were lost I probably wouldn't get another since it isn't one of my "main" guitars. This guitar definitely shines through its coil tap, but that's probably its best feature. I wish it had a different wood than basswood, it just sounds so weak. Something not associated with the guitar's namesake.

I play this guitar mainly as a live backup for my Ibanez S670. So it doesn't see the light of day that much. As mentioned before the strap buttons are solid, hardware seems fine, not much oxidization for a 17 year old guitar. The guitar does seem weak though. Very light seems like it is very fragile.

Action is very good, can't find too comfortable of a slightly buzzing low setup, but the action is still very good, has that "shred" feel for a legato sound. Really no problems here.

This guitar was made in 1995 at the Cort factory in Korea. The 22 rosewood fingerboard has a nice radius to it to where it feels more like a Strat than a typical Ibanez "shred" guitar, medium frets allow for comfortable stretching while still keeping that natural hand position. Maple neck is comfortable. Has a basswood body, not the best wood I've tried, but does maintain a good even tone, not as strong as my mahogany Ibby, but good nonetheless. The very sleek superstrat shape is very difficult to play sitting down as it constantly slides off my leg. However I almost always play it standing up and there is no problem there, the strap buttons are very sturdy which has never been a problem with me and Ibanez. The black finish is, eh, okay. I haven't utilized the Lo TRS II trem yet since I don't have the trem arm, but it seems to stay in tune after some manual movement of the trem. Guitar uses a push/pull coil tap in the tone knob for single coil adaption.

blackbird51
    blacksunshine13 wrote: MaDc0w wrote: is this guitar any good for playing metalcore or death metal in drop c tuning? music is like a apple only a retard bothers with the core eney way its not down to the guitar to wot music you play on it ive seen strats do i fine job with heavy metal and jazz players with les pauls and 7 string rg,s its down to how you play and your amp set up but to set up a floteing trem for drop tuneing is a pain in the ass as most ot of the time you have to uprate the strings on the trem to counter the extra tension of the heaver strings just get a hard tail and you wont have to wory about it
    real intelligent of you to put down an entire genre of music using elementary school-like grammar/spelling.