JS1000 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JS1000

With so many other reviewers restating the same statistics from the sales propaganda, I will attempt to relay my thoughts about the instrument and why it deserves an even higher rating than the 10 that I gave. First thing that catches your eye is the shape. It is very thin and is a very manageable weight for long jam sessions. Even though it is thin, it feels solid in your hands and seems to make unspoken promises to you even before it is plugged in, strapped on, or held in position. Next, you will feel the palm-side of the neck and the smoothness of the fretboard. Sliding your hand to play the notes as you normally do on other guitars seems almost too easy on this precision beast. Finally, even before hearing the quality of the notes from the audio output device, you will admire the ability to tap the strings with your fingers, especially while effortlessly sliding your hand up and down the neck, creating clear audible notes which are not distorted as they normally would be on other electric guitars! These are the features that I fell in love with on my JS100 as well, however, this model is even more friendly. The JS1000 comes with a felt-lined hard case with the words, "Team J Craft" inset into the top. The case is very solid and as usual, contains a compartment inside which fits all of the usual essential items needed: extra strings, a clear plastic pouch with wrenches, picks and any other small items, USB/SDcards, etc.

Joe Satriani truly understands what it means to *feel* the music he is playing and the guitarchitects(tm) in charge of the JS family have taken his extensive experience and designed a beautiful companion system which enhances the artists ability to express their ideas in a way that is completely natural and fluid. Regardless of which audio output device I use, I am always happy with the quality of the generated tones. The complicated world of sound processing follows the garbage-in-garbage-out rule. If you don't have amazing input quality, you will never be able to get amazing output, regardless of how you manipulate it. This guitar provides amazing input and the signal responds very well to modifications as well. The tone controls are very versatile and provide a means to access an immense variety of high quality input tones. Everything is attainable from deep bass tones to bright middles and even super tweety highs. You can generate pinch harmonics on just about every note position with ease.

There is absolutely no electric guitar that I have ever seen, held or heard which even comes close to the quality and clarity of the signals generated by this masterpiece. Input quality aside, I strongly feel that the biggest allure of the JS1000 is its action. This directly translates to the musician's ability to play the instrument with enhanced precision and speed. The feel of the fretboard, the spacing of the strings, the ease and speed in which you can traverse the entire neck coupled with the extremely low action and the ability to easily access even the highest notes. Regardless of your preferred music style(s), this guitar delivers exactly what you want and expect from a master-crafted, high-end instrument. It allows the artist to extend and expand their talents almost supernaturally. After playing with the JS1000 for a few hours, it will undoubtedly feel as though it is more difficult to play when switching to another electric guitar, even if it was your daily jammer for years.

I don't play gigs, but based on empirical evidence, I would definitely trust that this monster is up to the task. Depending on venue and finances, it may be possible to get away with just using this one guitar without a backup, but if you do, you are tempting the wrath of Murphy and his dreaded Law. I have had my JS1000 for about 4 years now and I have had zero problems with it. I take care not to abuse my instrument in anyway. Proper handling, respect, maintenance and storage will largely play a role in both durability and reliability of any instrument. The JS1000 is not a beginner's instrument. It is a precision machine that requires a higher level of awareness and care than lesser electrics. I consider it to be more like my partner than just an object.

I have been playing as a hobbyist for nearly 30 years. I mainly use my JS1000 for playing original music, annoying neighbors, and experimenting with Linux AV. Currently, I use a Fender Mustang I (v2) to drive the input signal through the USB interface to my computer. This way, I can use both the amp's built-in effects while applying as many additional effects as desired before driving the sound back to an audio output source. I can use the amp's speaker as both a preprocess input monitor while feeding the post-processed audio back through the 1/8" auxiliary jack of the amp. I really enjoy this marvelous instrument and would highly recommend it to anyone who is at least of moderate play skill or better. I would not recommend this guitar to a beginner, regardless of whether they could afford it or not. The JS1000 is a high-end extremely functional precision system designed to allow the artist who wields it to maximize their ability and release their true musical potential. After all, the designers employed professional experience from the best guitarist in history, then each guitar is sculpted, molded, and infused with amazing technology and all of the love, compassion and dedication and pride of creating something truly special.

aozen
    I'm a huge fan of both Satch and his signature JS, but this particular model, unlike most of his signature guitars, looks so non-toyetic and mature. I'll definitely get one someday, hopefully.