JS24PCA Joe Satriani Premium review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JS24PCA Joe Satriani Premium

This guitar was made in Indonesia in 2013. There are 24 medium frets on a Rosewood fret board. The neck is a three piece with Maple sandwiching Bubinga. There is a KTS Titanium truss rod. And Abolone dot inlays. The neck and head stock are striking in appearance. The body is solid American Basswood. It has a very rounded super stat appearance with deep cutaways. The finish is a metallic Candy Apple Red. The bridge is a Floyd Rose type tremolo. It is Ibanez's own Edge double-locking. The pickups are passive, with great tone. There is a DiMarzio "The Chopper," DP216, in the neck position and a DiMarzio "Mo' Joe," DP184, in the bridge position. The neck pickup puts out a great stratty sound despite the 24 fret neck pushing it closer to the bridge. There is a 3-way selector switch with a push/pull hi-pass volume knob and a push/pull coil splitting tone knob. The tuners are Ibanez logo-ed. The JS24P came with a nice hard case.

This guitar fits my music and playing style very well. I play rock, soft rock, classic rock, hard rock, nu-metal, blues, some jazz, instrumental rock, and acoustic. I run this through a Marshall JCM2000 DSL401, a Hughes and Kettner Tubmeister 18 head and 112, or through my Boss GT-100 or Line 6 Pod HD 300. This guitar is feels almost magical to pullout sweet harmonics, the tone range is excellent. It sounds just as great playing clean shimmery arpeggios, jazz tones, just breaking up bluesy sounds, all the way through high gain sounds. I would use this guitar for almost any style, barring classical and acoustic.

I like my actions pretty low. The factory setup was too high for me. I was simple enough to lower it to my taste. The pickup height was perfect hast as received. The finish is unbelievably gorgeous. The Candy Apple Red body and maple/bubinga neck and headstock look fabulous. The only ding I was give this guitar for fit and finish is that one or two the fret edges feel a bit rough. All of the hardware and its installation is first rate. There was nothing loose or poorly installed. The Rosewood used in the finger board has really nice grain.

I must say that I expect this guitar to hold up to the test of time. Okay, I am a bit of an Ibanez girl. This is the fifth Ibanez in my loved and modest collection. I also have a 1991 RG570JB. I've had it since it was new. And, I have a JS1000. I this guitar seems to have a same tremolo as my RG. The hardware and attention to detail rivals both my RG and JS1000. I like strap locks. So, this like my other guitars had strap locks installed. I have taken this guitar alone to a gig. It has not let me down. The finish should last I like to keep my guitars clean, waxed, and polished. With care, I believe this guitar and its finish will still look awesome for years.

I play lead and rhythm guitar for everything from rock and hard rock to instrumental rock, blues and bit of jazz. This guitar is an excellent fit for my playing style and genres of music. I have been playing for decades. In that time I have accumulated Fender Stratocasters and Telecaters, other Ibanez guitars. Carvin, Fender Marshall, and Hughes & Kettner amps. If this guitar were stolen, after morning her loss (the one is named Ruby), I would get another to replace her. I love the feel of this guitar. The whole guitar is so responsive that emotions seem to pour from your fingers.

Dynamight
    Who cares where it was made? The design and materials are the same.
    sweathog14
    It matters a great, great deal. Only people that don't think so are those that have never truly had a perfect guitar.
    esky15
    The difference is one place is a factory with assembly lines, the other place the guitars are hand made.
    iannii
    i thought Ibanez Premium were made in Japan or was it prestige?
    Krauser
    Thought I could clear a few things up here. Standard Ibanez models (non-Prestige, non-J. Craft, and non-Premium models) are all made in Indonesia. Ibanez Prestige and J. Craft models are made exclusively in Japan by Team J. Craft except for a few early models of the S series and perhaps a few other odds and ends Ibanez models (for example, I have an S2170FB Prestige and it's made in Korea, but all new S series models are made in Japan by Team J. Craft). Ibanez Premium models are made in Indonesia but in a separate factory from the regular Ibanez models. They're built by Ibanez Premium luthiers which are the same luthiers that build the Prestige models, so considering the materials given to the luthiers are the same, the quality should be consistent and high end as well. Truly, I've played and owned many a Japanese Prestige model and the attention to detail on the necks of many of the Premium models I have played have been as good, if not better in some cases, than many of the Prestige models I've played. Like any guitar, there will be discrepancies from each individual guitar to another, but like I've said, the Premium models are very good instruments with, as far as I've seen, excellent build quality. Don't let guitar origin throw you off, it's all about the luthiers and material quality. I have a Korean Prestige which plays just as well as my Japanese RG Prestige to attest to that, and I wouldn't write off any guitar before playing it simply due to its location of origin.
    nino.scholz
    Good rundown - the artists i've had recently were made in China . Actually they are very well done. I'm not sure if Ibanez is still making some guitars in China or not, but they were very recently at least. Either way, a good guitar is a good guitar, best to check each out on a case by case basis. FWIW, i also have one of the indo premiums, and it's a great guitar, like many new guitars it benefited from a fret level, but the fret edges were already top notch.