JTK2 Jet King review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JTK2 Jet King

Purchased from: Sam Ash

It can pull out that single coil bluesy jangle, or it can Switch to distortion tolerant humbuckers. I am using it with a Roland Cube 30X, and it is rather loud at even low volumes. I keep the volume at 7 since the humbuckers have a higher output than the single coils and to get the same volume I have to adjust it. Switching it to bridge and turning up the bass and switching to humbucker mode can give a nice deep crunch sound, and switching to single coil neck with high mid and treble can get an almost Stratocaster jangle. Overall, it's pretty versatile but can't match up to a Les paul or a Stratocaster.

I play mostly Rock and Blues music and I've been playing for about half a year now. I own a Yamaha Classical Nylon string guitar, and the cube 30x and that's it. The reason I chose the Jetking is becuase I was looking for a Fender Jaguar my first time at sam Ash, but I couldnt find one. So I gave up, spotted a Jetking and thought "Hey, it looks like a Jaguar a little and it's an Ibanez! Hey!" So from that point on I was hooked on the Jetking. If somone stole it, I would thrash that person down. I love this guitar. My favorite feature is probably the coil taps and the Jaguar like body. My least favorite feature is it's weight. I compared it to a Standard mexican Strat, and the jetking destroyed it. But the Jetking does not have a Whammy Bar. In my opinion that would ruin the jetking, but the job of doing weird tricks on the Whammy bar is best left to the RG series.

The guys at the factory must have dropped it rather hard to make that kind of chip. So has to be pretty durable. The strap buttons are solid but this is one heavy guitar. My acoustic strap kept falling off so I had to get a better one. I would use this at a gig without backup, and the finish, I don't know. Most likely during my time playing I will fill it up with stickers and signatures so I'm not too sure. The hardware itself seems durable enough though, so if your just concerned about playing then it's perfect.

The action was fine, the pickups were just right, no flaws. Oh right, they dropped it in the factory taking a chip off the bottom. So I glued it back on, called and got a 35 dollar discount. Reguardless it annoyed me. And when I played the floor model at sam Ash, the e string could not bend past a half a step without moving to the next niche on the nut. This does not only go for my guitar but for all jetkings, the coil taps are loud. So don't try recording the Switch over.

I belive it was made in 06 or 07, 22 frets, rosewood neck and mahogany body with medium frets. Mine had a basic black finish but I've seen some magnificent finishes such as a tabacco style. I would say it almost qualifies for double cut but it would be a little more difficult to play if you re-strung it as a left hand guitar. The bridge reminds me of a tune-o-matic and features a string through configuration. The bridge pickup is an ACH 2 Axis pickup and the neck is a super 58. One of the best features is the already installed coil taps which make this guitar a versatile machine right out of the box. It came with a cheap cable which I use as my backup now becuase it started going bad after the 3rd day. But reguardless it saved me the trouble of getting a cable for a week.

n2dablue
    I've got one on layaway, thanks for the reviews guys. I'm anxious to bring mine home and plug it into my Epiphone Blues Custom 30 Amp. You've all convinced me that I made the right choice.