JTK2 Jet King review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JTK2 Jet King

Purchased from: Music City

The sound of this guitar could suit any style of music I think. The guitar has 2 humbuckers, which give you a powerful, full tone, but a flick of those rocker switches and the rough humbucker sound turns into a bright, shimmering single coil sound which is especially pleasant on the bridge pickup. The only disadvantage to tapping the humbucker is it no longer cancels hum so you will get some noise, but that's something you'd expect. I actually counted it in the store and this guitar has 8 possible switching combinations, giving it a lot of variety. Since I'm using a Vox AD50VT, I can get just about any sound from this guitar and amp.

I play rock, blues, punk, ska, everything really, and this guitar has a good tone for everything. I've been playing 10 years and endlessly searching for a single guitar that can get a sound for anything and this is it. Prior to that I was switching between various guitars with humbuckers and various guitars with single coils, mainly strats and telecasters. If this guitar was stolen I'd hunt down the person Who stole it and make sure I get it back. If not I'd definitely buy another one. I love the sound of the tapped bridge pickup, the only thing I dislike about it is that it's a bit too heavy, but I can handle the weight. My favourite feature is the coil tapping, because with that, it can do anything.

This guitar feels solidly built. It will definitely withstand Live playing, the only thing I'm worried about is how the bridge pickup can easily be wobbled about, but I think this is just the thing with most guitars because of the way pickups can be adjusted. I would definitely gig with this without a backup if I had to.

The action and intonation were set up perfectly on this guitar, as with most Ibanez setups, as were the pickups. To be honest there were no flaws in the action, setup or finish. What more can I say perfection. I have to write more, so I'll just mention that all Ibanez guitars seem to be made to this level of perfection, they have excellent quality control.

My Jet King is a Indonesian made 2007 model with a soild black finish, which contrasts with the white scratchplate(s) nicely. The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard, and with unusual triangular inlays on the left hand side of the neck, similar to a Gretsch. The neck is a natural finish, which is what I like on guitars, and it's thicker than you'd expect from Ibanez, it's quite similar to a Strat neck. The body is an off-center double cutaway which is about the same shape as a Fender Jaguar, and I think it's mahogany. The bridge is a tune-o-matic with a funny shaped metal plate for a thru-body tailpiece. The controls that are given on this guitar are what makes it Shine, and for this I have to give it 10 - It has a simple 1 volume and 1 tone, with a 3 way pickup selector, but it also has 2 "rocker" switches placed conveniently on the upper part of the scratchplate that are coil-taps for the humbuckers, giving you a wide range of tone variations. The guitar has 2 humbuckers, the neck position is a chrome covered Super 58, I'm not sure what the make of the Bridge pickup is (Axis? ) but it's an exposed-coil humbucker. The tuners are unbranded but look like gotohs. The accessories included added 25 to the original price (195), these weren't Standard issue it was part of the deal at the store, I got a FX flightcase and a Fender strap.