JTK2 Jet King review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JTK2 Jet King

Purchased from: imuso.co.uk

I don't play one specific genre of music, I like to play lots, and this guitar enables me to do that. With all the pickup and coil tap configurations, you can get a limitless supply of different sounds. You can play good bassy blues and then full-on distorted metal and they both sound great, this guitar is suited to anything! The sound is a bit bright on the bridge pickup on clean, but turning the tone knob down corrects this easily. I've played it through a Laney HCM30, a Marshall MG30DFX and a Marshall AVT150X. It sounded amazing through all save for the MG30, as it is an awful amp. The buzz is minimal form this guitar, even when using heavy distortion.

I've been playing less than a year, but during that time, I've played lots of guitars and investigated the technicalities of guitars (it's what I do), and I think this is one fantastic guitar for the price. I don't think you can find a better starter/second guitar than this for the price. I will certainly continue to play it after my new guitar(another Ibanez) arrives. It were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, or perhaps another Ibanez. It truly is a fanastic guitar, especially for the price.

This guitar is very solid, and also very heavy! I think it would survive gigging well, the neck is extremely solid and the entire guitar feels very secure. I'm not sure I would gig with it though, and I'm not sure my shoulders could take the strain!! It is a very heavy guitar! The strap buttons are good as far as I know, I don't gig yet but I'm sure they'd be fine. The hardware seems good as well, although my top E went through a stage one day where it kept jumping out of the nut. I think I could depend on it, I trust Ibanez for reliability and this guitar seems very reliable. The finish is great, it's been put on very thickly so it's unlikely to get worn away anytime too soon.

The guitar was set-up perfectly at the factory and played brilliantly. The pickups are fine and work as intended and were adjusted perfectly. All the cavities and such were routed perfectly and it is nearly impossible to pick a technical flaw with this guitar. The only niggle was the input jack being slightly loose. The volume pot also came loose recently, but that was due to my overusing it and took about 30 seconds to sort out.

I'm not sure when and where it was made, but it is one of Ibanez's newer models(06) I believe. It has 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard. The fret markers are triangles, which help you to see them when standing up(apparently). The neck is extremely comfortable to play and to hold, it moulds into your hand very nicely and is quite fat. It made from maple and is a bolt-on. The body is mahogany, with a sunburst finish and red marble-like pickguards, which makes the guitar look awesome! The bridge is a Full Tune III, and there is a nicely shaped tailpiece which you either love or hate. It is string-thru-body. The electronics are pasive. It has single coil tap switches, one for each pickup, which work great, you can really hear a difference. There is a 3-way pickup selector, master volume and master tone, all of which are silent and do their intended job well. The pickups are covered humbuckers, Ibanez Super 58s. The new model has a different bridge humbucker which is not covered. The pickups are fantastic, you can get amazing sounds out of them. The tuners are unbranded. The guitar came with a free lead.

TaV0
    Just bought one today! , totally awesome, it's incredible the price isn't as high as other banez are. Definetly one of the best guitars I've ever played
    subshadow
    i got an ibanez grg170dx (1st guitar, playing for 3 years) i'm planning on buying this one is it and upgrade? or should i make a jump to a les paul studio+
    Kada2110
    Can someone help me? I wanna buy a guitar up to 550 dollars, and i want an ibanez, could you recommend something? I like the jkt2, but is there something better in that price range?