JTK2 Jet King review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JTK2 Jet King

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I play a lot of blues and the guitar handles the sound perfect. Here is where the Rocker switches come in: They basically work as individual coil-taps and turn the humbuckers into singlecoils. They fit perfectly into the retro look of the whole guitar and make this guitar one of the most versatile instruments. I use it with a Roland Cube 60. The Bridge pickup gives a very clear sound but in my opinion it sounds a bit weak when distorted. The sound is a bit to light. The neck pickup can deliver some absolutely breathtaking cleans. The pickup has huge bass- and mid-frequenceis giving it a really warm, rich and full sound. Though, when you put too much bass on then chords may be a bit muddy. Having it on single coil or humbucker is like night and day. The single coil has less mids and lows so all frequenceis Shine through. You can hear every tone of a chord crystal clear. Then of course you can mess with the switches and the 3-way switch and create lots of different sounds. The only thing I think is quite annoying is that the volume changes a bit when you switch from humbucker to singlecoil. Not too much but still noticeable.

I play Blues and sometimes some Funk or Rock and it suits those styles perfect. I don't think you can get heavy metal distortion out of it but since I don't play that style of music that's fine for me. If it were lost or stolen I would get it again or maybe buy the JTK1, which has the same features. There is nothing I really hate about this guitar and a lot that I love about it. From its funky looks to its warm, creamy sound, it all appeals to me. I'll give this a nine because I'm amazed what I got for the little money. Thank you for reading.

The guitar is built really solid. It's very thick and quite heavy but If you get a decent leather strap the problem is solved. Another good thing is that it doesn't have the heavy-neck problem. The guitar will not automatically slip to the left when you don't have your hands on the neck. On the other hand, leaning it against a wall doesn't work because then it will tip over. The strap buttons are very good and better than on most other guitars. Everything seems like it will last and if we assume that the strings won't break during a gig then I would use it without a backup. But since strings do break from time to time I will not use it without a backup.

The action on the guitar was really high when I received it. That was quite annoying as I had little experience back then so I spent a lot of time there. I had to adjust the pickups aswell, as they were slightly high when I fixed the action Another thing that I noticed is that the nut does't have deep enough curves for the b and high e-string. Sometimes when you strum the open strings a bit harder or when you try to bend the high e-string close to the nut, the string pops out. Although that can be fixed easily it's still annoying.

My Ibanez JTK2 was made in 2006 in Indonesia. It has 22 frets on a beautiful rosewood fretboard and a very comfortable neck. The neck is not as thin as on most other Ibanez guitars but it's not too fat either. It's a Mahogany body. I don't know a lot about the tuners but together with the Tune-O-Matic bridge they hold the tune almost perfectly. It is equipped with two humbuckers (on my model they are two Super 58's) and two rocker-switches. These rocker-switches are the most interesting part of this guitar but I'll come to that later. The Body style (which reminds me of the Fender Jaguar with less pointy cutaways), the Ibanez "Spagetti-logo", and the two tortoise pickguards produce the great retro look of this guitar. The pickups can be selected by a 3-way Switch and controlled by one volume and one Tone knob. The accessories weren't spectacular but I can Live with that. It included a surprisingly good cable and a gig bag. Mine has a brown sunburst on it and the finish is very even. It came flawless.

jihadelmo
    what's better overall: Ibanez Jet King 2 or Fender 72 Custom Tele reissue? both are versatile, but Jet King is cheaper and has better reviews...