JTK2 Jet King review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JTK2 Jet King

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I like to Switch around in my styles, from classic rock, to metal, to punk, to ska, to country, to blues, to jazz(yummy), and even some hip hop. This guitar does everything. Right now I'm on a stoner rock binge, and the weight of this baby makes my chords the crunchiest ever, combined with a good fuzz and my bass amp, and it's got pretty good sustain. And for jazz, it's great. Switch to the neck pup with the coil tap engaged, and warm jazz tones abound. Really, you can play everything from "One" (Metallica) to "Four" (Miles Davis).

This guitar is perfect for anything. I've been playing for about a year and a half, and it's unsurpassed by my other electric guitars (my Martin acoustic, however...). If it were stolen, I'd be pissed, because they've been discontinued to make way for the JTK3 (with single coils and not as much versatility), and the JTK4 (with a whammy bar, which I hate). This is my favorite guitar, and I wouldn't part ways with it, ever.

I'm just a bedroom player, so I'm not sure about Live playing. The strap buttons are nice and solid, I've never used locks on it. The only complaint I have is that because of the body shape, the upper horn is heavier than the lower, so if I set it on an edge without much friction on it, it's gonna fall over. If you're not playing this guitar, please: keep it in a stand.

Action was fantastic right out of the box. The pickups were perfect, too. I've never had to adjust anything on this guitar, except for the bridge when I switched from.009s to.010s. My only complaint is that the tailpiece, being so shiny, gets smudged up a lot, and it's hard to clean with the strings on. Doesn't affect the playing at all, though.

Made in 2007 in Indonesia, this thing has features out the wazu. The 22-fret rosewood fingerboard is the smoothest I've ever played. They also combined my two favorite woods: Mahogany for the body makes it nice and heavy, while hard maple for the neck with a satin finish makes for lightning-fast playing - and I'm not even a shredder! The body looks to me like a Jaguar, but, humble. This "humbleness" is evened out with a cool-looking chrome tailpiece, offset triangle inlays, a "spaghetti" Ibanez logo, a mismatched pup set (one is chrome-covered, the other uncovered, which looks cool), and an upper pickguard with "Jet King" proudly printed onto it. The tune-o-matic bridge makes action adjustment a breeze, and the coil-tap rocker switches make this guitar anything from a swingin', swaggerin' classic rock box to a lovely country twanger.