JTK2 Jet King review by Ibanez

Ibanez: JTK2 Jet King

Price paid: C$ 139

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

I've played with songs from genres all the way from pop to Indie to metal, to blues, to rockabilly. I can get basically any sound with this guitar, run through my Line 6 Spider III amp. It can sound rich, fuzzy, clean, deep, and seldom gives off bad feedback. This said, it's not ideal for rockabilly sounds, but I have a hollowbody that's perfect for that anyways. However, it's still the most versatile guitar I've ever played.

I do most of my guitar research on the internet. Not a good habit, but the local music store only carries typical Gibsons and Fender guitars. Rarely do they get anything even slightly exotic. Anyways, I had been looking at this guitar online for about a year when I saw a used one at Long & McQuade. Of course I knew I liked the look, but I was surprised how much I liked the feel as well. Usually I've found you sacrifice between look, quality, and price. This one had an ideal mix of the 3. I mean, $139 for any guitar that isn't a starter is a good price. I mostly play alternative, indie, and rock songs, and this guitar is an excellent match. Sort of atypical, but not enough to be really strange, extremely versatile, and fun to play. I've been playing for about 4 years, and out of my 3 electric guitars, this is both my cheapest, and my favourite. The other two are a Slammer by Hamer knockoff Strat, and an Eko 295. If this guitar was stolen, I don't know what I'd do. Of course I'd buy another one, I'm already debating buying a second one for alternate tunings and fiddling around with. If anything, I wish it had 2 covered humbuckers, it would look a bit nicer, but it's nothing that can't be fixed in time.

I've only used it at one show so far, I'm not that active of a gigger, but I've rocked out in the basement quite a few times, and it can withhold whatever I throw at it. The strap stays on, mostly because it's a locking one that wouldn't come off if you pulled it with all your strength. For playing, recording, and gigging, I can safely say I rely on this guitar. However, it is a policy of mine never to gig without a backup, because anything could happen.

I didn't buy it new straight off the shelf, so I don't know how the factory set up was, but when I bought it, it was in need of a setup. It came with a free setup however, so that wasn't a problem, and besides the two patches of scratchmarks on the back, it was in excellent condition. The nut is fine, nothing has rusted, and after the last tuneup, I haven't broken a string yet.

Bought used at Long & McQuade, so I don't know much about it, but it was a steal for the price. Indonesian made, 22 frets, glossy black finish, string through body bridge, 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob, 3 way selector, 2 tone switches that don't do much. The style of the body is reminiscent of the Jaguar & Jazzmaster body shape, but with 2 plastic pick guards, one above the strings and one below. Pickups aren't much, two mismatched humbuckers, neck pickup covered, Bridge one not, but they are the originals.

RetroGunslinger
    Unless this was the only guitar available why in the name of god would the 2nd reviewer have bought this guitar to play metal on
    Sid&Nancy
    beno21 wrote: There are so many much better guitars out there. I would rate this guitar a 5/10 (which I feel is somewhat generous).
    A 5/10...seriously? Lol I do agree that these reviews are pretty unbiased, but have you ever thought that maybe this guitar is just that impressive? Does a guitar really have to have a Fender or a Gibson stamp on it in order to be considered exotic? Neither Fenders nor Gibsons are exotics brands/guitars. Every-****ing-body has one. So, what's cool about them? Nothing. I think what the reviewer meant by "exotic" is that this Jet King is pretty unique. And I can't wait 'til I get my hands on one!!
    CMMusicMan
    I have a JTK-2, and it was NEVER worked. I did all the work myself, and now it just about plays itself. I'm no stranger to the music biz, I've been in it for over 50 years. I'm known as Bobby Jay The Guitar-Man, or Bobby Jay the Human Jukebox. ANYWAY, My Jet King is absolutely wonderful ! It has a warm sound for those love songs and ballads, or it has the drive sound for the rock-n-roll, and a bluesy sound for playing Clapton, BB King,or Muddy Waters, and Stevie Ray of course....whatever I feel like plaing at that moment. It's an all around Excellent Axe for ALL Genres of music. That's my PROFESSIONAL Opinion.
    beno21
    Pretty much straight 10s across the board for a guitar under $500. The latest review implies that Gibsons and Fenders aren't exotic. Um they are? They are sought after for a reason. These reviews are SOOO UNRELIABLE and biased. Yes it is somewhat versatile given it has coil-tapped humbuckers, but that's not a solid enough reason for straight 10s. There are so many much better guitars out there. I would rate this guitar a 5/10 (which I feel is somewhat generous).