M80M Meshuggah Signature Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 01/16/2015 category: Electric Guitars
Ibanez: M80M Meshuggah Signature
This 8-string guitar was created with the guitarists from Meshuggah, and you can really heard their sound with it. The best thing about this guitar is how well you can chug with it downtuned and not have to worry about the muddy sound.
 8.6
 8.4
 8.7
 18,131
review (1) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
M80M Meshuggah Signature Reviewed by: Azreal09, on january 16, 2015

Purchased from: zzounds.com

Features: The Ibanez M80M (the less expensive M8) was made in 2014 in Indonesia.

• 8 Strings 1D#, 2A#, 3F#, 4C#, 5G#, 6D#, 7A#, 8F
  • Jumbo Frets
  • Ash body
  • Rosewood fretboard
  • 5pc M80M Maple/Walnut neck w/KTS TITANIUM rods
  • FX Edge III-8 bridge
  • Lundgren Model M8P (ceramic/passive bridge only)
  • All black hardeware (volume and tone only since there's only one pickup)
  • 29.4 scale
  • Bolt on neck
  • Faded black color Ibanez calls Weathered Black
  • Body style is very basic but has one tapered edge for your arm
  • The bridge, locking nut and tuners are all Ibanez brand I believe
  • Came with a nice hardcase, allen keys and manual.
// 9

Sound: I generally play any type of heavy metal and hard rock and this guitar performs very well. I was able to change to any tuning, up or down, and did not have any muddiness from the lower strings. Has a beautiful warm sound that played exceptionally well with my Line 6 amp and the MXR Fullbore Metal distortion pedal. This guitar was created with the guitarists from Meshuggah and you can really heard their sound with this guitar. My favorite thing about this guitar is how well you can chug with it down tuned and not have to worry about the muddy sound. The Lundgren it comes with is an outstanding pickup if you like to play low, chug, or even squeal on any string. Aside from the basic look of it, I love this guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Right out of the box I didn't have to change a thing. I was able to plug it in right away and play. I found no flaws once I gave it a good look over, everything was placed properly and I was very impressed with how well the guitar was set up. Nothing was loose, everything was smooth with the finish and everything is properly routed. The finish appears to be polyurethane and has a nice grain pattern. The bridge has a lot of adjustments that can be made and the locking nuts are just right. I did notice that the bridge does not appear to be made to the same spacing as the pickup and the strings are slightly off. Not enough to affect playability but just enough to know it is not perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As far as durability and reliability goes, I see no issues. Ibanez is a very good guitar company and all of the hardware is solid. I would and have played this guitar live without any issue and didn't even bring a back up because of how confident I am in it's construction. The finish of the guitar appears to be polyurethane and the wood grain is visible (on purpose) and you can feel it if you run your hands over it. As I mentioned earlier, the only about this guitar and dislike even a little, is the lack of creativity in its design. It is a very basic look but plays wonderfully. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I give it an 8 out of 10, once again do to the basic design and the strings being slightly off. Compared to an Agile 8-string, Ibanez RG8 and Carvin 8-string, I was most impressed with the Ibanez M80M. It's simple but powerful, and for the money I spent, I am completely happy with this guitar. I would recommend this guitar to anyone who has been playing 8-strings for a little while, not as a first because of the cost, and is looking for a great sounding guitar upgrade from another 8-string and/or really wants the playability to that of some of the newer metal bands. // 8

Comments