MTM1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: MTM1

Purchased from: Giovanni Music

I play mostly metal (COB, SOAD, Slipknot, Trivium etc), and classic rock. If you do not play metal you might want to reconsider buying this guitar, because this is a metal machine. I plug it into a grunge pedal and a Fender Metalhead half-stack and it sounds absolutely amazing. Due to the active pickups and mahogany body this baby will sustain forever and squeal out some pinch harmonics like a pig. The tone has some serious richness to it but it can also be clear and bright using clean tone. It was also suprisingly light. I compared it to my IC200 and it was like a feather compared to it. I also play some country and this guitar performs excellent although it is certainly made for metal and it plays like it was made for metal. I was actually suprised by the versatility especially for a guitar designed by Mick himself. The action was good although I lowered just a bit. I can shred like a mother on this thing as the action is good and the neck is skinny and fast.

I have been playing metal and rock for 5 years and this guitar fits my needs absolutely perfectly. I have a Jackson SL3 Soloist and an Ibanez IC200 and they don't even come close to this guitar on any level. If it were stolen I would hunt that person down and beat them to death with their own leg. I love everything about this guitar except that the finish on the neck can get kind of sticky. The only things I wish it had are a tone knob and and a Mick Thompson signature somewhere on it.

This giutar will not only withstand Live playing but maybe a nuclear blast also. This is probably one of the biggest reasons I chose this guitar. Hey, if Mick Thompson can use it live then I'm sure it is pretty solid. Even the stap buttons are solid. I would use it for a gig with no backup no questions asked. This guitar will be super reliable I am sure of this.

As I said before the action was good and the neck was fat. The volume control was dead silent which is one of my favorite things. Also the fine tuning knobs on the bridge are so easy to turn compared to my Jackson SL3 Soloist it wasn't even funny. Every little detail on this guitar is perfect. The 'Seven' inlay is also eye-cathing and is also very well done.

This guitar was made in Korea in 2006. It has 24 jumbo frets on a quite skinny neck, which is good for my smaller hands. It has a full mahogany body with a thru-neck design and a blood-red finish with all-black hard ware. It is a tele-style body and it has an Edge FX double locking fixed bridge. The guitar comes in Mick Thompson's tuning (B f# b e g# c#) straight from the factory. There are two active EMG humbucker pickups (EMG 60 for neck and EMG 81 for bridge). There is only a volume knob and a pickup selector. The pickup selector has 3 positions. A cable and some hex-wrenches came in the box also.

chobbsy
    thesimo
    chobbsy wrote: Metalology wrote: I don't mind the colour and the inverted headstock is kinda cool. But, I don't like EMG p-ups, no tone knob and the fixed Floyd Rose. a fixed floyd rose, does that mean it has one but it doesnt move? :S (soz n00b question)
    yes, the benefits of fine tuners, but without the reliability problems of a floyd. i think thats wise for a slipknot gig
    d_byrne23
    too me its just a rg but your payin for the mick thompson'ness of it, nice guitar, but id just get a 1570 or something and throw pups in er
    Rock Boy
    Looks great, but it is a super strat body. In the first review, it is written that it is a tele style body. That's completely wrong, it's a superstrat style! The finish is awesome, but i miss a tone knob and I think DiMarzio pickups are better that EMG
    Green_Jelly
    With a tone knob and without the inlay this would be my dream guitar. RGR's ftw. By the way, what made you think the body is tele-style?
    MESAexplorer
    Anarion614 wrote: why did this get a 5 for user rating?
    Its good for what it is, but it really does lack the features when comparing it to other guitars of the same price range.
    Ibzman
    Why would someone buy this when he can buy a RGA, way more reliable and the sound must be way better, I hate those fixed floyd rose bridge, whats the point of havin' a floyd if u cant use it ? even the fine tuners dont justify this, You can buy Steinberger tuners (those have a 40:1 ratio) and you'll be more than equipped for your tuning stability
    allanon88
    oops, sorry yash its 1500 dollars canadian and i ****ed up on the body type. my bad guys. Also PLOP, it doesnt take long at all to re-tune this beast.
    Trenton
    Rock Boy wrote: Looks great, but it is a super strat body. In the first review, it is written that it is a tele style body. That's completely wrong, it's a superstrat style!
    Actually, its based off of the Ibanez RG shape. Just like his BC Rich guitar off of a Warlock.
    InfiniteMisery
    From looking at the picture it seems as though this guitar has a rosewood fretboard. What the hell is up with that?! If you're going to spend close to 1000 on it you'd expect it to be made of the same woods that Mick himself uses. It spoils the look of the guitar not having an ebony fretboard.
    Metalology