MTM2 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: MTM2

Purchased from: Local shop

I play death metal. Altough this is the signature guitar of Slipknot's Mick Thomson, it really gives a great performance at any metal genre. The sound has good low end, nice, full mids and defined but not searing top end. The magohany body makes good job in making the sound round and full. My equipment is Marshall Valvestate 8100 used as a poweramp to a Line 6 PODXT Live and I really get good sounds of of it. I could never test it with a tube amp, but check out user named fearedse on Youtube, he uses the MTM2 with tube amps and just listen to his awesome tones. Also, MTM2 sounds really good at lower tunings. I use Drop A in my band, and sound remains very clear. We have one track recorded in F# tuning and at this point the clarity wasn't as good, but still nice. And this is a really low tuning so I have no complaints.

As I wrote earlier, I play death metal and MTM2 delivers, but honestly I think it could do for any metal style. I also heard good lighter rock tones with it. I love this guitar almost literally, if I lost it I would sprint to the music store as soon I got money for a new one. If you play heavy metal and use dropped tunings, I think there are few if any as good guitars in this price range. I sincerely recommend the MTM2 very much.

MTM2 is built rock-hard. Mine took some nasty falls during rehearsals and performances, and practically nothing happened. The hardware is really solid and as I wrote earlier, it takes heavy gauge strings exceptionally good. Strap buttons are made for straplok straps and that's a great thing, my strap didn't unlock a single time while I was playing. I have a Schecter guitar for backup just-in-case, but I never had to use it when I didn't want to and I think I could trust the MTM2 without a backup.

To be honest, I didn't change any settings since I got the MTM2. I bought it with the action perfect for me, the Bridge and neck were set up perfectly. And to this day, I really didn't have to change anything - the setup remains good. Also, it came with strings with gauge about 11-50. They got a little soft in Drop A, and I like to have hardness under my fingers, so I changed them to 13-62s. And I was very surprised - altough gauges like this are usually used with Baritone guitars and I was ready to make adjustments, I didn't have to do anything. The neck and Bridge remained set up good like they were made from rock, the only thing I had to do was to change the intonation a little bit. Also, thanks to Edge III bridge, MTM2 holds tuning very good - I usually don't even have to tune it once in a whole performance.

My model was made in 2009, Indonesia. This guitar has superstrat shape. The body is made of magohany, the neck is made from maple and walnut. Frets are jumbo frets. MTM2 has Ibanez Edge III bridge, which is fixed but it has tuning stability of the Floyd Rose, featuring string nuts and microtuners. I have the models with two humbuckers, Ibanez V7 and V8. The only flaw here is possibly the lack of tone knob, but everything else is fine.

IrishSeann
    rhino0909 wrote: Jawkster wrote: knotslip wrote: what pickups does it have. nd r they passives or actives active V7s their passive i think you will find!
    Actually I think you'll find that their duncan designed active versions of his signtaure emty blackouts, I would know, I have one