RG-505 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG-505

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Private

This guitar suits almost perfectly the styles I play. I play mostly melodic death metal, but sometimes death and thrash metal too. I use this through a Marshall Valvestate model 8080 and Zoom G2.1u. The guitar sounds really good, although the pickups aren't the best ones, to me the bridge pickup lacks some punch I want. I usually use mid- to hi-gain setting on the ZOOM. The neck pickup really gives an awesome sound for tapping and soloing. With clean setting I prefer the middle pickup, which is a single-coil. It really sings. I think this guitar is really good from blues rock to brutal metal, thanks to it's shape and the ease of reaching the 24th fret.

As I've said, I play metal and this guitar meets my requirements. I've played this guitar for 3 months now and I think I'll have this guitar until the end. I don't currently own other guitars, so I don't have any backups right now, but there has been no need for a backup. If this guitar got stolen.. I'd immediately find the thief and make him/her regret he/she was ever born. What I really like about this guitar is that it has a neck shape that really fits my hand and that it has the good, trusted finish: black. Only thing I hate is the lack of punch from the pickups. I compared this by first looking for other models and then trying new Ibanez guitars. I think this equals or is even better than the RG1570 prestige for example.

This guitar will withstand live playing, if it didn't I wouldn't have bought it. The hardware is real quality metal and I think it will last for another 15 years. The strap buttons are really reliable and they're shaped well, no need for straplocks. I would not use this guitar without a backup in a sort of huge live performance as it has a Floyd Rose style bridge and there is always the risk of something bad happening. Small bar gigs or mid-size live performances I could do without a backup.

I do not know how well it was set when it came from the factory, but when I got it from the seller, I had it checked and adjusted at the local guitar store, Kitarataivas. From there I got this guitar all set for training. The guitar is really well made, no complaints about that. All that I have to complain about is the lack of punch in sound.

The model is RG505, not 550, is what the seller told me, yet this one is very similar with the 550 one. This sweet guitar was made in 1995 in Japan. Specs: - Wizard II Maple Neck, 25.5 scale - 24 fret rosewood fingerboard - RG style solid basswood body - The finish is black - Floyd Rose style bridge (Edge) - Passive pickups - One Volume, One Tone and a 5-way switch. - HSH configuration (Ibanez V8, S1, V7) - Non-locking Gotoh tuners - Hardware colour: black

Sakke
    sewoo55 wrote: Floyd Rose style bridge (Edge) ok that's not very precise....
    I think that is the best way to describe this bridge cause the Edge has evolved a lot from what it was back then. It basically was a licensed floyd rose, but better than the today's licensed ones.
    evan-simpson22
    Sakke
    evan-simpson22 wrote: do you know which edge it is? (1,2,3) or is it the original Licensed Floyd Rose, cause those are the ones that Kickass!
    It looks like the first Edge does.
    crossrunner
    shame it seems to me that almost all the UG reviewers have some inner security issues about their guitars, because they always to assume their guitars are going to get stolen and even sometimes do us the honor of telling us what they will do to the culprit, lol
    Sakke
    crossrunner wrote: shame it seems to me that almost all the UG reviewers have some inner security issues about their guitars because they always to assume their guitars are going to get stolen and even sometimes do us the honor of telling us what the will do to the culprit, lol
    I do hope that you don't take them too seriously. However, if indeed my guitar got stolen, that's what I would do, but there is a really small chance to that..
    AJSaw
    Why all the hater ratings? He covered practically everything about the guitar, isnt that what we rate the REVIEW on? rated nice review