RG120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG120

This guitar has a good bright sound when you play it clean, mostly on the first two pickups. Sometimes, when I play it through my Peavey Enboy amp, I get some loud feedback when I put it on the "lead" setting on the amp. I don't use any effects with it and it doesn't play with distortion too well.

I play a lot of music, from '70s rock, to Indie, to alternative rock. It's a fairly versatile guitar, good for beginners but if it were lost and stolen, I probably wouldn't buy another one. This is a very middle-of-the road guitar.

This is a durable guitar, and I must say I am rather clumsy with my instruments. Despite a few nicks on the paint this guitar has suffered nbo damage. The strap buttons are solid and you could probably play it without the need for a backup, except it wavers in and out of tune at times. I would definitely recommend this guitar as a backup though.

I haven't found anything seriously wrong with this guitar and I've been playing on it for a little more than a year. The only thing I've noticed is that the strings sometimes have a tendency to rattle against the first fret, but this can be easily remedied with a quick adjustment. Another thing is that the nut for the cable insert keeps coming loose and I have to tighten it now and then.

This guitar was made in Indonesia but I'm not sure when. It has a thin neck and 24 frets but they get really small towards the body. It's a solid-top and gathers dust like nothing else although the metallic red paint looks awesome in the right light. It's got a pointy, Strat-like body and a tremolo bridge. It has two humbuckers, a volume and a tone knob and a 3-way selector. This guitar didn't come with any accessories when I bought it, not even a whammy bar.