RG120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG120

I play mostly rock and metal and for the price I paid for this guitar and the style of music I play, the sound is excellent. The bridge humbucker is very crunchy and sounds great for a stock pup. It is not as versatile as a guitar with a HSH setup but the middle selection for the pickups splits them into two single coils and you get a very clean, almost glassy tone, from them. Set to the neck position, you get a warm tone which is not too bright but not at all muddy. And in the bridge position, you will get a punchy sharp tone that cuts through and is very in your face. It is the position you will be in for most of the time if you play rock because it offers excellent punch. As for the tremolo, it is good and holds tune for a while. Just remember that the RG120 does not have locking tuners and locking bridge so don't expect it to stay intune when you divebomb on it or use the whammy bar but that is expected. If you remember to go lightly on the whammy, this guitar will stay in tune for a while. I haven't had to tune my RG for about a month now and am very impressed. It holds its own when playing rock and metal and the clean tones sound good also, but do have the pontential to be better of course. If you are looking to play jazz and blues, you should look somewhere else, but if you are looking to play metal and rock and are not looking to spend alot, look no further than the RG120.

Since I play metal and rock, this guitar suits me perfectly. I have been playing for about a year. I also own a black Ibanez RG2EX1 and that is also an excellent guitar. The finish on the RG120 is excellent and, with the RG body, it has killer stage presence. I get a lot of comments from people when I play it about how it looks and the shape. I have no regrets about buying this guitar and it was one of the best decisions I have made when it comes to purchasing an instrument in the 10 years in which I have been playing music. If this guitar was stolen from me or I broke/lost it, I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I love everything about this guitar, my favorite features being the fast and thin Wizard II neck and the sound I get from it. Compared to other guitars I have played in its price range, it is as good and surpasses most of them in the terms of playability, reliability, sound, and looks. The only thing I would have liked to have was 2 tone and 2 volume knobs insted of just 1 tone and 1 volume, but it is just something that I would have liked and, not having this, is not a reason to not buy it, just a personal preference. All in all, for the price, the Ibanez RG120 is an excellent guitar and I have nothing but praise for Ibanez!

I have taken this guitar everywhere with me. This guitar feels, and is built like, a rock. Everything about it is excellent for the price and I would feel confortable taking this guitar to a Live show without a backup. I have No Doubt about this guitars reliability and durabilty and I am completely pleased with it.

The guitar, as set up from the factory, was good. The pickups were well adjusted and the height from the strings was perfect. The action was also good; low and smooth with easy playability. The top was properly bookmatched and the bridge was properly routed. The guitar contained absolutely no flaws and was exceptionally cut and fit.

The Ibanez RG120 is a non Japanese (China, Korea and Indonesia) origin guitar with a Floyd Rose-style tremolo. When it comes to features, it is pretty straight forward. The model I purchased was a solid-top with a transparent red finish and I can tell you that the red in the picture on this page is not really what it looks like. It is a darker red and it actually changes in color slightly when you are in a lighter environment. It is an excellent color. You get the Ibanez Wizard II neck which is very thin and fast. Also, you get the signature RG double cutaway body style and signature RG headstock as well as 1 tone and 1 volume knob. It has 24 frets which makes it versatile and an INF3 passive humbucker in the neck position and a INF4 passive humbucker in the bridge with non-locking tuners and a 3 position selector switch.

Ali-b912
    Tab Guy wrote: 24 frets!?! Ibanez doesn't usually make 24s, do they?
    correct me if im wrong but all RG's have 24 frets and so do some of the S series now too
    amcrambler
    my dad payed $100 dollars for one, and it impressed me so much i bought a rg320ex and its simply the best guitar for the money. squire strats SUCK (i love fenders though) and for $100 its damn near bullet proof and with a little bit of money and work it could be amazing.