RG120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG120

Purchased from: a friend

I play mostly metal and rock, which suits the guitar perfectly, but when I need to play blues or jazz, it's just as good. My main complaint is that the pickups aren't as loud as I would like, but other than that the sound is fine, and a good enough amp can give it an aggressive edge.

This has been my main guitar, and is more useful to me than my expensive Les Paul. I have to say that this guitar has really improved my playing skill. It's reliable and versatile, but kind of boring, so if it were stolen, I would probably just buy a better guitar.

I've used this guitar for about a year now, and have used it exclusively, and even at a gig, and I haven't run into any problems yet, and the strap button has never fallen off (unlike my Les Paul). It's a simple design, so not much can go wrong with it, and it's very dependable.

When I got it from my friend, it didn't have strings, so I put some light ones on, and it really seemed to suit the fastness of the thin neck and the low action. I did get a little bit of buzzing on the lower frets, but I fixed that easily, and it wasn't an issue.

After being fed up with the lack of playability and short neck of my Les Paul, in addition to a desire to play more technical music, I decided to purchase a used Ibanez from a friend. I can easily say that I have never regretted that decision once. One of my favorite features is that this guitar has 24 frets and a deep cutaway, which greatly increase the amount of notes that can be easily played. Although I don't use the 24th fret much, it makes reaching the 22nd a lot more reasonable. It has a 3-way selector and 2 humbuckers, which works fine but not great, and came with a tremolo bar. It doesn't have any locking nut system, so when I try to use the tremelo, it goes out of tune. It's good for someone Who wants a more "shreddy" style guitar, but doesn't want to spend a lot.

tomanybeans24
    i really wanted to like this guitar because i'm a big fan of ibanez, and after my squire broke i bought this one as a subsitute untill i could could a beeter guitar. everytime i used the whammy bar it fell a half-step out of tune. my cousin joked that if i ever wanted to tune a half step down i would just have to use the whammy bar. However when i decided not to use the tremelo but my the guitar had more problems. When i wanted to tune in a lower tuning, often this happenes right before my eyes, my guitar somehow goes back. Ex: If i want to Drop D my guitar will climd to back to a D# or an out of tune E. i am seriously considering gettting my squire fixed and returning this.