RG120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG120

I play primarily metal, hardcore, and rock. This guitar is definitely more gear towards that spectrum of music, but it is able to adjust to other types of music with a reasonable level of adequacy. The one thing that can't go without mentioning is the guitar's ability to play lead metal pieces. I play covers from Avenged Sevenfold, Dragonforce, old Atreyu and others similar and this guitars perfectly engineered sound is almost out of place in a $200 guitar. That being said, one thing I have found is that without strange combinations of effects and such it is difficult to acquire some of those 50s and 60s sounds like you might find with the Temptations. that's really the only trouble I've found with this guitar. The fact that it's only average on most sounds and really only great when playing metal is what leaves this guitar at a 9.

I really love this guitar's sound while playing lead on metal pieces. I think no matter what I'll always come back to it after playing other guitars just to remember that sound. The only thing that really gets on my nerves about this guitar is that there is no recessed cable jack. I was comparing this guitar with 3 others of similar price range: a Laguna (not sure the model $300) the Ephiphone SG Special, and the Schecter Omen 6. The Laguna sounded shrill and without and emotion or "epic-ness" so it was out of the question. There was only one Schecter in the shop and when I checked it out it had a neck like a bendy straw. The SG was simply one of the worst guitars I've ever heard. My chick friend who know absolutely nothing about guitars said it sounded like someone left a harmonica inside the guitar when they were assembling it. I really wish this guitar had a recessed cable jack and it wouldn't Hurt if the frets were extra jumbo instead of jumbo for my stubby fingers. This is an excellent guitar to get a beginner started off playing lead or a very durable and quality sounding cheap backup for a more advanced player.

This guitar has been very reliable and durable. I have put this guitar through quite a bit of turmoil and clumsiness and after all that the only thing the broke was cheap guitar cable I had bought. I have banged it against tables, walls, doors, and a nightstand (many many times on the nightstand). Every time I do I check it for scratches or dents and it's still immaculate. There are still zero marks of any kind to be found anywhere on this guitar. If I knew that a gig was going to be crazy I would bring this guitar over any other. The thing is like an armor-plated truck. Also no knobs have fallen off and/or spontaneous combustion occurred etc.

One thing which I noticed is that sometime I'll get some string rattling, but it's only when I really try for it. It has never transfered into the amp. As for aesthetics, the guitar is brilliant looking. In a world that's knee deep in hollowed out and airbrushed driftwood, the simplistic and clean design of this guitar is refreshing and ironically awards it some amount of character. It is the definition of a modern guitar shape.

The RG120 is made in Indonesia. Mine was produced in 2006. IT has 24 Jumbo frets. If your are reading this review you are likely already familiar with the RG body style. The cutaway near the base of the neck is enough for me to fit my hand and wrist through while playing on the lower frets. A quick list of the features on this model are: some derivative of a Floyd Rose, a volume knob, a tone knob, a 3-way pickup selector (bridge, neck, or both), 2 humbucking pickups, and the Ibanez Wizard II neck. The Wizard neck is excellent. I have small hands, short arms, and stubby fingers and I play lead so a thinner neck is an absolute necessity for me. The Wizard II compensates for all those things.

Serosis
    It's called a "floating bridge" to tune in D or Eb, heck any tuning below E you gotta push the bridge down while you do it or basically pull the whammy bar up while you tune it, that way the strings will be in the pitch you want when the bridge finally settles. And to fix the strings going out half a step when you whammy, stretch them out after winding them up, give them 3 or 4 good sessions of pulls and plucks and then re-tune your guitar. Oh and to tune straight to E Standard, put a "shim" underneath the bottom of the bridge so it sits parallel to the body(so it looks like its "floating") and then tune it.
    mts007
    how does a person keep this guitar in tune??? may have major defect.
    Johnny_Salazar
    this thing was good for about the first week I had it, tremolo started rattling and vibrating against the body whenever I play now. anyone wanna help with that?