RG120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG120

This was my very first guitar and I think that the sound is great for bot a beginner or an experienced player. I used it for basic learning, all the way through playing heavy metal. Also for several months it was my guitar for playing live at my church in which I used clean tones with delay, reverb, and chorus effects. This guitar was great for ALL styles of music. The volume control is not that good though. The volume knob goes from 0 to like 5 when turning it from off to on so sometimes while playing quieter parts live at my church I would have to turn the volume down either on the amp or using my volume pedal. The dual coil pickups work well for clean songs, but it's certainly no Strat.

I play all kinds of music, from clean Christian music to heavy metal and this guitar has been well rounded for all those styles. This was my first guitar and it's almost been a year since I've been using it along with Line 6 Spider amps! This guitar satisfied me for months, so no regrets on it. If it was stolen I definitely would NOT buy another one because I've moved on to Schecter guitars. Plus I never used the whammy bar so it was pretty useless. Also it goes out of tune very very quickly so that was a disadvantage. I love how for such a cheap guitar, the quality is amazing! When I bought it I didn't know much about guitars & I was on a budget. This one caught my eye in the store right away and so I just chose it on a hunch and it was a great decision! I wish it didn't have the tremolo that it has, because like I said, it goes out of tune very quickly. Also I wish it was less heavy. My Schecter Hellraiser C-1 has more stuff inside it and it's way lighter, so now that I put on the Ibanez it feels very heavy on me.

This guitar will indeed withstand playing live. It feels like a tank, feels like it will last a lot of abuse. One thing to know is that it is fairly heavy. The body feels rock solid (literally a blow to the head with this guitar will kill you! ) The strap buttons are very solid and yes it is very dependable. I've used it for playing live from August '09 till February '10 & I've only had 1 string snap on me while playing live in that period of time! I blame the old strings and the way my termolo was set up, but indeed I trust this guitar without a backup. The finish has lasted quite well. I have unbelievably sweaty hands and I'm amazed that the finish still looks good even with all that sweat all over it all the time!

The action was great out of the factory. Since I was a beginner when I got this guitar I didn't know much about action and pickup adjustments. As I got more experienced I realized that I needed to mess with the pickup height quite a bit to get the tone I wanted. Also this guitar snapped alot of strings until I realized that I needed to open the back and lower the tremolo tension so that the strings weren't holding it "floating" above the body too high and since then I haven't snapped any strings! Also note that this guitar goes out of tune very quickly. I'm surprised at how well they set this up in the factory other than the tremolo height/tension!

So this guitar was made in Indonesia. It has 24 jumbo frets and a thin neck. Rosewood fretboard. It has a Ibanez FAT10 Tremolo and Dual open-coil humbucking pickups. Volume a tone knobs and 3 way pickup switch.

Big Bear200
    this ibanez is uber awsome i just got a floyd rose for it and it works hella good at SHREDING fawk yeah 24 frets of happiness right there
    l.a.ibanez123
    this is my second guitar its alright its easy to play if you start on a piece of shit like i did, the bridge ****s with you if you tune into different tunings all the time and don't slap the bridge because it floats and if you do it it will mess up your strings but other than that its good