RG120 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Ibanez: RG120

I play classic thrash metal ( kreator, sodom, slayer, metallica, exodus, testament ) and this guitar suits it well. The pickups are great for distortion and the bridge pickup offers a bright tone. Irun though a cheap Peavey Backstage 2 amplifier and a Boss metal zone distortion pedal and it souns pretty good. My biggest complaint is that is it noisy. I play with the volume knob completely open and it is very noisy. Even if I use only quarter of the distortion given to me I still get great feedback. This makes soloing tough and finger tapping very hard. As I said before, great for metal, heavy blues, hardrock, jazz, and it can produce some nice clean sounds.

For thrash metal, this guitar does seem to match for a beginner guitar player. I habe been playing for one year and a week but at three hours a day, I am much more experienced than a average one year gfuitar player. My other guitar is a Dean playmate avalanche which has been lit on fire and is no longer playable. If it were stolen, I would buy another if I knew that I couldnt have abother guitar for a month or more. The list of things I wish it had are active emgs, edge zr-II tremolo with zsp3 spring system, sperzel locking tuners, thru-neck construction, scalloped frets, 17-24, my own paintjob... Yah this guitar sucks.

I do not play in a band so I do not know if it will withstand live playing. The hardware is sturdy. The strap buttons are solid and are placed in a great posistion. I would never ever gig with this guitar because of the poor tuning stability. The finish will last a long time. The laminated top ensures that.

The action came very poorly set up. It was extremely high and the truss rod was poorly adjusted asd well as the intonation. I replaced the stack strings with erne ball not even slinky drop tune strings, lowered the tremolo as low as it could go, adjusted the truss rod, and adjusted the intonation. Now it doesnt't play all that badly. Little fret buzz. The pickups were adjusted well ( after I adjusted them ) but the neck pickup continually falls down and has to readjusted every day.

This guitar is a 25.5 inch scale, 24 fret guitar, with a decent neck. It is not as thin as the necks that Ibanez are known for. The body wood is agathis with a laminated top. The agathis wood is kind of heavy but ways about the same as a basswood guitar. My guitar came in Standard black finish bit Ibanez also manufactures it in white and candy apple. The body is about the same shape as a Fender Stratocaster but is far thicker. The bridge is Ibanez tremolo called the fat10. It is non locking which provides horrible tuning stability. The knife edges have wore down extremely easily. I no longer use the tremolo because even the slightest vibratto effect will send it out of tune. It also is not a recessed tremolo so the action can only be lowered so far. The pickups are passive ibz inf pickups. They do not actually sound that bad. They do not however pickup alot of the harmonics. They are great for metal and decent for clean tones but that is about all they can do. To control the pickups are one volume, one tone, and a three way pickup selctor. Tuners are Ibanez tuners and are not that great. With the guitar come a very cheap cable and the tools necessary to adjust the intonation, tremolo hight, tremolo arm hight, and truss rod.