RG120 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG120

This is my main guitar that I play metal on [thrash and power metal]. I use this guitar with my Roland Cube 15X amp on the Metal Stack channel. The pickups sound great through this amp and the tone definitely works well for the styles I play. I can get a fat, dark sound with the treble at 5 and with the bass at 8. A nice, punchy, bright sound can be made with the treble at a high setting and the bass turned down. The cleans are OK, but sounds too electric, even on the neck pickup. They are the best with the amp EQ at 120 o'clock. The lead tone on the neck pickup is brilliant. I really like the mellow sound I get from that while soloing.

This guitar definitely suits the styles of music I play [metal]. I've been playing for 4 years now and I also own a Stagg L350 and a cheap Strat copy. I play both of these with my Roland Cube 15X. Before I bought this guitar, I wish I played around with the tremolo more, as it goes out of tune easily [not much of a problem for me, considering I don't use tremolo bars much]. If this guitar was stolen, I would probably buy the same model again. My only wishes are that there would be a better tremolo, more volume/tone knobs and a black scratchplate.

I think this guitar would withstand live playing. It has endured an 8 hour flight and long car journeys, so it should be able to withstand gigs. I do not think I would need a backup at a gig with this guitar. The strap buttons are fine, but I put on some straplocks just to be on the safe side - I will not risk damaging this guitar. I've had this Ibanez for nearly 2 years, and the finish still looks great. I do clean it now and then to keep dirt away.

I do not think this guitar was set up very well. The intonation was out and the pickups were too low. I had to get out my screwdriver after purchasing to fix this. Everything else, including the action, was fine. The red finish looked great. Definitely eye-catching. The hardwear was fine too. I did not find anything wrong aesthetically.

This red superstrat guitar was purchased from Guitar Center when I was on holiday in the US and has the following features: - Agathis body - 24 fret 3 piece maple neck [Wizard II neck] and rosewood fretboard - 2 humbucker pickups [INF3 in the neck position and INF4 in the Bridge position] - 3 way pickup selector switch - 1 tone and 1 volume control - A FAT10 tremolo bridge I would have liked a black scratchplate and another volume and tone knob, along with a better tremolo. A different Bridge would have been nice, considering everytime I use the bar the guitar goes out of tune. Not much of a problem, considering I don't use tremolo bars much.

DamnBastard1224
    I've had mine now for a little under a year. It was a big step down from a Gibson, but I managed to match sounds exactly how I needed it. It's worth the 150-200 bucks you'll probably pay for a new guitar.
    ProgJazzMath
    Woffelz
    ProgJazzMath wrote: This guitar is actually really, really great for the price. My buddy has one, and it sounds ****ing fantastic. The trem though, is a complete failure for the most part. One heavy divebomb and you need to tune up. Other than that though, probably one of the best starter guitars out there.
    You've pretty much summed up this guitar.
    BrianDeuel
    Woffelz
    BrianDeuel
    Woffelz wrote: BrianDeuel wrote: I picked one up locally for $75 with an EMG 81, a Microcube and nice stand. Sounds great with the 81, and pretty decent even with the crappy INF4 in the neck. Good guitar for practicing speed and legato exercises; better than my Junior, anyway... INF4 in the neck? Mine has the INF3 in the neck... And only 75 dollars? You lucky man! Anyway, the INF4 isn't bad.
    My bad. It IS an INF3 in the neck. I wasn't at home when I posted that and I think I looked it up. Turns out that the site I read it on was wrong heh...
    apickering
    Picked one up for 175.00 new. Really feels great. Looks cool. Pick ups are just fine. Threw in some Fender locking tuners and bamm!..I got a real freakin machine. The neck is really nice and it just plays very well. High quality for a low price.
    DemonAbyss10
    Bought mine back in 2007 for around $200. Stock equipment and for some reason I am not getting the bridge issues a lot of people have complained about. No rattling, no detuning after a divebomb. Great for metal (suprisingly not to bad for playing some classic rock as well) Playing thru amplitube 3 until I can afford a new amp (currently have some generic RMS branded amp that sounds horrible if I downtune, which I do quite often.)
    alarosa3
    I've noticed that other people than myself have had trouble with string buzz especially on the lower frets and the low E string on the Ibanez RG120. I was wondering how people have fixed this problem. I'm getting to the point where I want to buy heavier strings to try to fix this. Any help on this would be awesome.