RG1520A review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1520A

Purchased from: OnStage Music Factory

My genre is metal. Period. And its damn good with it. Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold blah blah blah. I play it through a Line 6 Spider III 15. The sound isn't to good due to the amp, but I think the guitar would do good with some nice tube amp. I don't have any units. The sound of the guitar is really really good. Nice warm clean & bright & full overdrive. Both pickups are terrific.

For metal, it is great (like all Ibanezes). I've been playing for almost 4 years & I also own a Cort X-1 which is a decent guitar. I would not let it get lost but if it was stolen, I wouldn't buy again because if I have another chance to buy a new guitar, I would try something else. I compared it to a million other guitars. JEM 555, Jem 505, JEM JR, RG2550Z, non-Prestige RGs, S570, Schecter Synyster Gates Custom, Hellraiser C-1 FR, Blackjack ATX C-1 FR, Damien Elite-6 FR, Dean MAB1 & MAB3, Dean Dimebonics ML. I wish it had a killswitch & a matching painted headstock. I chose Ibanez for the sheer playibility of it, but if you want something that will turn heads, look at something else.

The guitar feels like it is a real sturdy one. Every thing seems excellently built. BUT, the finish gets scratched by the pick but the scratches are only seen when held against light. A 9 because of the locking trem problems.

I bought it from a store so the set-up was done then & there. I inspected every damn thing in the store before buying. The pickup selector is a noisy one though.

This guitar is a 2009 limited run, so there is not much point in writing this review but still. As I have said its a 2009 edition, so I think it was made in the same year & made in Japan as all the Prestiges are. 24 frets, jumbo I think & the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. Basswood body. Normal finish, nothing fancy. Its a superstrat like all RGs. Has an Edge Pro which I think is as good as if not better than a Floyd Rose Original. I never knew about the pains of a locking trem but that's a problem with every locking one. Passive electronics. Tone & vol knobs with a 5 way selector. DiMarzio IBZ pickups (H-H) & tuners must be locking & they are Gotohs. The guitar comes with the Prestige case & the Prestige key but I didn't get the key, unfortunately.

DoubleBassCrash
    DeadlyKombat wrote: Not every Ibanez is for metal
    That's true, they're versatile, especially the hollow bodies, but the majority of people will associate an Ibanez with metal just by glancing at the headstock.
    Camron62\m/ wrote: is it neck-thru?
    Na, it's bolt-on.
    sewoo55
    Which is funny, because the RG, S and Xiphos series only make up a small proportion of ibanez guitars
    BFMVRocker
    DeadlyKombat wrote: Not every Ibanez is for metal
    yeah dude right i should have written "all the RGs"