RG1520A review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1520A

Purchased from: Local store

I play most blues and heavy metal (Clapton, Cream, Deep Purple, Gary Moore, etc.), and I think this guitar is a do-it-all, it all depends on the selector position, volume and tone, it can scream as loud as a Les Paul and whisper as soft as a Strat. I play it through a Blackstar ht club 40 tube amp and a DigiTech RP 1000 multi-effect pedal, and I get a rich sound, DiMarzios with a tube amp work just great, sometimes, I use nothing but the tube amp and it's two channels, and the guitar still sounds great. I also played it through a friend's Egnater Tweaker and a Fender Blues Deluxe, and sound only gets better. I played it through a PA system, and obviously sound wasn't as great, but was nice, clean and not bad at all.

This guitar will fit almost any music style you play (maybe except jazz), from the softest ballads to the hardest rock, it's good for riffs and solos, I just like it a lot. I play since I was 17, and that is mmm, about too long! Lol. I also have a '87 US Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul 2012, and my 1520A fits right in the middle. If it were stolen, I would get too sad, because this is a Limited Edition, so, I won't find another like this. I really like this guitar, but I have to say that a friend of mine who only plays blues, don't like it as much as I do, he goes with tone all way down, and he says he would like to go even lower, but the guitar doesn't have that option.

I think this guitar is fully dependable, is well built and has no flaws, the hard case is also a good thing, will keep it safe on tours and gigs, any way, is a good idea to put some good strap locks to it. I don't think electronics will fail at any time, they are really well built. I installed Schaller strap locks to it, it's something you should do to all your guitars. Anyway, it's always a good idea to have a backup, but, in case you don't have another guitar, I think this one will get you through your gig with no complain.

I had the guitar just out of the box and play it and get a great sound out of it, but it came with 09s strings, when I switched to 10s, I had to take it to a pro to set it up again. Action is good and low, it allows me to go very fast. The only work I have to do about twice a year is to clean the selector switch, which get noisy when dirty/rusted. Finish was wonderful at the beginning, now you can see some pick scratches, I would like to have some way to protect it, or to fix it, a pick guard would be a good thing, but guitar looks awesome as is without it.

2009, limited run, 24 jumbo frets, super-thin basswood body, superstrat style, edge pro tremolo, DiMarzio-Ibanez PUs, in short: GREAT! Only problem: 5-way selector get noisy with time, I have to clean it about twice a year. It has non-locking Gotoh tuners, they work just fine. It came with a hard prestige case, which is very good. It was made in Japan by the JCraft Team and came with tools and owner's book, I think it would be great to have some extra (strings, cable, strap), but it didn't have any. I bought it 2 years ago and I'm really happy with it.