RG1520A Review

manufacturer: Ibanez date: 04/24/2013 category: Electric Guitars

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Ibanez: RG1520A
This guitar is a 2009 limited run. For metal, it is great (like all Ibanezes). I chose Ibanez for the sheer playibility of it.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 9.1
 6.8
 1,807
reviews (2) pictures (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
RG1520A Reviewed by: BFMVRocker, on november 01, 2011

Purchased from: OnStage Music Factory

Features: This guitar is a 2009 limited run, so there is not much point in writing this review but still. As I have said its a 2009 edition, so I think it was made in the same year & made in Japan as all the Prestiges are. 24 frets, jumbo I think & the neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. Basswood body. Normal finish, nothing fancy. Its a superstrat like all RGs. Has an Edge Pro which I think is as good as if not better than a Floyd Rose Original. I never knew about the pains of a locking trem but that's a problem with every locking one. Passive electronics. Tone & vol knobs with a 5 way selector. DiMarzio IBZ pickups (H-H) & tuners must be locking & they are Gotohs. The guitar comes with the Prestige case & the Prestige key but I didn't get the key, unfortunately. // 9

Sound: My genre is metal. Period. And its damn good with it. Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Avenged Sevenfold blah blah blah. I play it through a Line 6 Spider III 15. The sound isn't to good due to the amp, but I think the guitar would do good with some nice tube amp. I don't have any units. The sound of the guitar is really really good. Nice warm clean & bright & full overdrive. Both pickups are terrific. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it from a store so the set-up was done then & there. I inspected every damn thing in the store before buying. The pickup selector is a noisy one though. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar feels like it is a real sturdy one. Every thing seems excellently built. BUT, the finish gets scratched by the pick but the scratches are only seen when held against light. A 9 because of the locking trem problems. // 9

Overall Impression: For metal, it is great (like all Ibanezes). I've been playing for almost 4 years & I also own a Cort X-1 which is a decent guitar. I would not let it get lost but if it was stolen, I wouldn't buy again because if I have another chance to buy a new guitar, I would try something else. I compared it to a million other guitars. JEM 555, Jem 505, JEM JR, RG2550Z, non-Prestige RGs, S570, Schecter Synyster Gates Custom, Hellraiser C-1 FR, Blackjack ATX C-1 FR, Damien Elite-6 FR, Dean MAB1 & MAB3, Dean Dimebonics ML. I wish it had a killswitch & a matching painted headstock. I chose Ibanez for the sheer playibility of it, but if you want something that will turn heads, look at something else. // 8

RG1520A Reviewed by: jaal, on april 24, 2013

Purchased from: Local store

Features: 2009, limited run, 24 jumbo frets, super-thin basswood body, superstrat style, edge pro tremolo, DiMarzio-Ibanez PUs, in short: GREAT! Only problem: 5-way selector get noisy with time, I have to clean it about twice a year. It has non-locking Gotoh tuners, they work just fine. It came with a hard prestige case, which is very good. It was made in Japan by the JCraft Team and came with tools and owner's book, I think it would be great to have some extra (strings, cable, strap), but it didn't have any. I bought it 2 years ago and I'm really happy with it. // 9

Sound: I play most blues and heavy metal (Clapton, Cream, Deep Purple, Gary Moore, etc.), and I think this guitar is a do-it-all, it all depends on the selector position, volume and tone, it can scream as loud as a Les Paul and whisper as soft as a Strat. I play it through a Blackstar ht club 40 tube amp and a DigiTech RP 1000 multi-effect pedal, and I get a rich sound, DiMarzios with a tube amp work just great, sometimes, I use nothing but the tube amp and it's two channels, and the guitar still sounds great. I also played it through a friend's Egnater Tweaker and a Fender Blues Deluxe, and sound only gets better. I played it through a PA system, and obviously sound wasn't as great, but was nice, clean and not bad at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had the guitar just out of the box and play it and get a great sound out of it, but it came with 09s strings, when I switched to 10s, I had to take it to a pro to set it up again. Action is good and low, it allows me to go very fast. The only work I have to do about twice a year is to clean the selector switch, which get noisy when dirty/rusted. Finish was wonderful at the beginning, now you can see some pick scratches, I would like to have some way to protect it, or to fix it, a pick guard would be a good thing, but guitar looks awesome as is without it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar is fully dependable, is well built and has no flaws, the hard case is also a good thing, will keep it safe on tours and gigs, any way, is a good idea to put some good strap locks to it. I don't think electronics will fail at any time, they are really well built. I installed Schaller strap locks to it, it's something you should do to all your guitars. Anyway, it's always a good idea to have a backup, but, in case you don't have another guitar, I think this one will get you through your gig with no complain. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will fit almost any music style you play (maybe except jazz), from the softest ballads to the hardest rock, it's good for riffs and solos, I just like it a lot. I play since I was 17, and that is mmm, about too long! Lol. I also have a '87 US Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul 2012, and my 1520A fits right in the middle. If it were stolen, I would get too sad, because this is a Limited Edition, so, I won't find another like this. I really like this guitar, but I have to say that a friend of mine who only plays blues, don't like it as much as I do, he goes with tone all way down, and he says he would like to go even lower, but the guitar doesn't have that option. // 9

More Ibanez reviews rating category latest review
+ AR220 8.8 Electric Guitars 02/08/2016