RG1527 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1527

Purchased from: Bentley Music Malaysia

I play Progressive Metal, Neo-Classical with this guitar (Rusty Cooley, John Petrucci, and the likes). Running this Guitar through my Boss GT-6 to my Marshall AVT-150. The guitar is great but the pickups are questionable. Plan to change the pickups to EMG's or DiMarzio's depending on how fast I can save for it. it's muddy and not as powerfull as I expect it to be. But the stock pickups are bearable and won't dissapoint. A change is definate if you're a person Who values tone and power. Not much difference between the Neck and Bridge Pickup. Neck pickup goes muddy when gain is up and the low B-string is played a lot. Bridge pickup lacks the bite and has no power to it's sound. Clean sounds are ok and nothing to shout about.

I play nearly everything and this guitar fits it well. With the right pickups this guitar can definately play anything if you know how to. I own an Ibanez S cutomized by me and a Fender Highway 1 also customized by me and the RG7 is different. This guitar gives you the extra string and that really opens up possibilities to your playing. The 7 stringer can play what a 6 stringer can and more. If it was stolen or lost (which I will make damn sure it won't) I'll definately get it back. I Compared it with the Hamer 7 string and still went for this because of the neck. The neck is truly important as it makes the transaction from 6 to 7 a lot easier. Wish it had better pickups. After playing a 7 string, when you return to a 6, the 6 will feel like a toy and feel much moer easier to play (for me). It would take some time to get used to it but when you do, it'll rock hard.

Definately will if you can stand the weight as it is slightly heavier then a normal guitar. Still haven't prepared enough for a real gig yet with this guitar so I cannot comment on it yet. Strap buttons are solid. I would use it on a gig without a backup. Finish looks as if it can last forever if properly taken care of.

I had a techincian to do minor tweeks to it. It came with 3 springs at the back and added another one. 5 springs make the trem too hard to play with. 4 was just nice to keep it in better tune and stability. Had some intontion check and changed the action as it was slightly higher then usuall. Neck feels great but Ibanez didn't do a great job to the minor details. I can see extra wood used at the headstock. The paint around my pikcup has a very small blotch. Not really noticeable. All in all still a good job. I'm just picky when it comes to these things.

Ibanez RG Prestige 7 string model. Made In Japan. 24 frets and a bolt-on neck. Solid Basswood body. Mine is a blue with a slight touch of green on it. Standard Passive Pickups with 1-Volume 1-Tone selector. Edge Pro 7 with locking tuners. Comes with a very nice Ibanez Prestige Team J Craft hardcase (fits perfectly and can only fit the guitar).

EZLN libertad
    i own it, great guitar, i love it to bits, the only thing that drives me nuts is the floating bridge, takes so damn long to tune it when i replace strings
    cheames
    im stuck between one of these and a maverick...bugger...it'll probably be this though....
    emokiller17
    is it worth paying that little bit more than the RG1570 (6 string) just so you can get an extra string?
    Mahoru
    Yes, sure it is! I've used this one and it's the best 7 string guitar I've ever played!
    Mahoru
    Absolutely not. It's almost like a Wizard neck. It's 19 mm (1st fret) - 21 mm (12th fret), and a lil' bit wider than a six string, of course. It's the fastest 7 string ever.
    MetalheadA7X
    Yeah i am buying one of these bad boys this month I'm well pleased because i tried one in a guitar shop and fell in love with it, but the universe is amazing too. Shame about the price.