RG1527 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1527

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Used

I mostly play doom and progressive metal (a la Devin Townsend) on it, and it does its job as it should. I mostly use my Engl Invader 100 with it, but when I'm on a small gig I use a DigiTech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion with it. The guitar isn't noisy at all, but like said before, the pickups were replaced and DiMarzio's are pretty high quality pickups. The guitar is very resonant and sounds very strong and ballzy. With the appropriate amp, you could get any kind of sound you'd even want out of this guitar.

This guitar is great for any kind of music with this pickup combination. I have absolutely no idea how the stock V77/V78 set sounds like. I've heard a lot of bad things about them, so I would suggest replacing them. But to turn down a great guitar like this on only the pickups is bullocks. The guitar is great for on stage and in the studio or just at home. It's reliable and solid. I'm gonna state the mandatory likes and dislikes: Likes: Solid guitar, very comfortable neck shape (very thin C-shape), the all access neck joint. Dislikes: The tremolo, I can't stand tremolos. I would love to have this guitar with a HardTail bridge, but that would be a project for me to dive in when I have the time and the money for it.

This guitar is quite solid. However, since it has a tremolo and not everyone knows how to handle one it can detune quite easily. I have a Tremol-No installed in it, which is the small clamp version if you want to know. The saddles on the bridge are starting to rust a little bit, but that's normal after 8 years of use. The strap buttons are quite big, so it might be a hassle to get the strap on there, but when the strap is on there it stays there. I just would go guitar flipping with it on stage. And as said before the finish is starting to chip off a little bit, but again, that's normal for a guitar from '05 which has seen stage a lot of times.

It's a used guitar, so I don't know how the guitar was set up from the factory. But the guitar was set up by a friend and the guitar can handle a very low action without the sometimes mandatory fret buzz. The only flaw I have found with the guitar are the shallow pickup cavities. The aftermarket pickups are almost uncomfortably close to the strings. The body itself, on the other hand, is very well made. It's a guitar from '05, so here and there a few chips of paint missing, but there's nothing a sharpie can't fix.

This is an Ibanez made in Japan in '05 with the old Edge Pro 7 tremolo. It features 24 huge frets and has a 25, 5" scale on a very thin maple/wenge neck with a rosewood fretboard. It has a solid basswood body and is finished in Royal Blue. The body style is obviously an RG shape, which is just a sharp Stratocaster. As said before, it features an Edge Pro 7 tremolo, which I blocked off because I don't use tremolo's at all. The stock pickups were the infamous Ibanez V77/V78 pickups. They were already replaced by the previous owner by a DiMarzio CrunchLab and an Air Norton. The electronics were modified a bit as well, but I now don't use the tone and only have 1 volume and a 3-way switch. The tuners are Gotoh's, which is standard on the prestige Ibanezes.