RG1570 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1570

I play mainly hard and heavy rock (everything from Deep Purple to Dream Theater, Vai etc) and this guitar allows me to cover everything without changing the guitar. Roll back the sound and put the Switch into position 2 or 4 and you'll get bluesy straty sound. On the maximum volume the sound is fat but not as fat as LesPaul would be. I play it through Fender Blues Junior with Boss DS-1 and Vox Wah. The sound is good but I'm thinking to getting Mesa/Boogie F30 which, I guess would be better match for this guitar. I also plan to change pickups. The stock pickups are OK but still leave much room for improvement, plus I'd like to get warmer sound with more sustain. I'll probably end up with some Dimarzo Breed or Paf Pro. Haven't decided yet.

As I've said, I play hard rock and moderately heavy metal and the guitar suites me fine. I think that after pickup change it would be even better. I also own Fender Deluxe Stratocaster, which I primarily use for clean sound but I found that when I'm too lazy to Switch from one guitar to other the 1570 can handle not only heavy riffy kind of music but also more bluesy stuff. I woudn't trade it for my white Ibanez Jem, but I should say that for its price its very well made guitar with good playability.

I am not a pro so I play live very rare. But considering the quality of the instrument I think it would withstand heavy use and abuse. The stock straps look quite nice, however I changed them into DiMarzio ClipLock, which is more useful for me. But that's the matter of taste, anyway. I wouldn't go for a gig without backup simply because there's always a danger of breaking a string. Otherwise, I don't feel I'd need a spare guitar.

The guitar I own received some pre-sale treatment in the shop before I purchased it, so it's hard for me to judge what was it look like right out of the box. However, I still needed to adjust the action in order to lower the strings and to get rid of string buzz. But I believe that any instrument placed in extreme weather conditions (from warm shop into the car with minus 4 outside and back to warm house) would require some fixes. Otherwise I have no complains.

Mine is 2005 model made in Japan by T. J. Craft team, which, I believe, is responsible for all Ibanez prestege and signature series. The neck is very thin, shred-oriented with 24 medium-jumbo frets and rosewood fretboard with dot marks. I'd like lower frets being scalloped like on a Jam. But still the neck is well accessible. The basswood body has a nice "mirage" finish, whish changes its color depending on the angle at which you look at the guitar and the lightning conditions. There a re two finishes available for this model "mirage blue" and "mirage red." I own the blue one and its color varies from light sparkling blue to almost black. The bridge is Ibanez Edge Pro, allowing for deep divebomb trem work. The pickups are Ibanez-made in H/S/H configuration. Controls are kind of a standard volume, tone, tone with 5-way Switch. The guitar is equipped with non-locking Gotoh tuners. It may seem a disadvantage, but considering the locking nut, I believe tuners have little to no impact on overall tuning stability. The guitar comes with hardshell case (very well made, much better then ones supplied with American Fenders), set of allen wrenches and spare plastic shells used to tighten the trem bar. No cable or strap or polish cloth.