RG1570 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1570

Purchased from: www.guitarampkeyborad.co.uk

I mainly play rock and metal, satriani, vai, Metallica, Slayer etc. the guitar suits the style like a glove! I also play a good bit of hendrix and classic rock like that (cream, rory gallagher etc.) and you can get a really nice tone from the guitar for that sort of music as well. On distorted tone, the bridge humbucker sounds electric! It's sound is very similar to a Jem, which is just as well since they don't make those in lefty's! The neck humbucker packs a similar punch, though isn't quite as bluesy as I'd like a neck pickup to be. I'm not too keen on the single-coil when distorted, though with a clean tone it sounds unbelievable, the sort of tone one would usually attribute to a Strat! The guitar has nice sustain and the Edge Pro is great for making those screaming harmonics just like Satriani.

This guitar is great if you want to play any sort of rock/metal. I've been playing guitar for 7 years now and this is perfect for me. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy another one in a second! The one thing that takes getting used to is the different neck scale, and seeing 24 frets instead of 22 is a bit confusing at the start!

This guitar can take a good whalloping, the locking nuts will keep your strings in tune and the strap buttons will keep you from horribly embarassing yourself at a gig by dropping it! I would probably bring a backup to a gig, only to deal with playing songs in different tuning, since to re-tune this would take a while, but that's the price you pay for an awesome bridge!

The guitar came nicely set-up. The intonation was a bit off, but that is easily fixed. I also raised the single coil pickup a little since it was a bit quieter than the two humbuckers. The action is set up nice. The finish on the guitar really has to be seen! I have the mirage blue model, and it looks killer! It shimmers from black/deep blue to a light blue/green, and really is totally cool!

This is a RG1570L (the lefty version), made in 2005 in Japan. It's got 24 jumbo frets, a three piece Wizard neck (bolt-on), which is noticably thinner and more comfortable than the neck on my other electric (B.C. Rich Warlock). The neck is made from Rosewood and the body from basswood. The bridge is an Edge Pro, and is absolutely sweet! There are some people that seem slightly daunted by floating trems, but resting your arm on the bridge really isn't a problem and doesn't affect the tuning at all. The guitar has one volume and one tone knob. I think more volume knobs would have been nicer, as there are 3 pickups (IBZ V7 humbucker in the neck, IBZ S1 single-coil in the middle, and an IBZ V8 humbucker at the bridge) and a 5-way selector. The Edge Pro is a double-locking trem. The guitar comes with an Ibanez hardcase.

Boz0r
    Just buy a guitar with a fixed bridge, if you can't handle the sheer power of a FR bridge.
    tinman717
    hey man I think the weight is perfect because its not so heavy that it hurts your shoulder and stuff, and its really easy to move around with it and it feels light, but it feels like it's a solid guitar, you know? Like some really light guitars feel kinda fragile and wimpy. This guitar is medium-light but it feels pretty strong and you feel like you're playing a solid, nice guitar. The balance is pretty good. The neck doesn't try to come up or fall down on you, like with some guitars. It just kinda stays where you want it, and when you just let the guitar hang on its own, the guitar is at a comfortable angle for both your fretting and picking hand.
    limefan913
    Chiefwiddler wrote: Rest your hand on the bridge? Why? Your hand is WAY too far up! I only go anywhere near the bridge when I am palm-muting, and only go right to the end when doing light palm muting where I want some fizz. Cant say how anyone with technique can have this detuning problem. Sorry if that sounds a bit sh*tty, but, you need to address that problem.
    Some people when beginning tend to do that instead of tensing their hands up. I personally don't do it unless palm muting either though, but I see what they mean.
    4d5e6f
    This guitar is a 3 piece neck, but trust me, it's still QUITE nice.
    Chiefwiddler
    rocknblueslady1
    Hello. I am thinking of buying this Guitar (Ibanez RG 1570) for my 15 yr old son. I have read lots of reviews and it sounds like an excellent guitar. Wondering about the color. Need to know more about the color since I am buying it online. I can't tell if I like the Mirage Red or not. Anyone w/ the Mirage Red? What is the color like? I heard the Mirage Blue looks black, purple, and green when it hits the light. That sounds awesome, but is it too flamboyant for a 15 yr old boy? Thanks for you're advice.
    chilli99
    maybe I missed this is reading everything above, but how is the weight of this guitar and how is the balance
    tinman717
    access to the upper frets is great. Nothing really gets in the way. I mean if you are trying to get to the 24th fret with your first finger you will have to kind of deform your hand to do it, but if you're just regularly playing and doing it with your pinky or something its not really a problem. I love this guitar and I have no problem with the detuning because of resting my hand or whatever. It takes a lot of practice to figure out how to palm mute and rest your hand when you play guitar, but once you get it, you can do it on any guitar. You have to be very gentle with the tremolo. It's really sensitive. So new people who like to use a lot of force and arent as smooth of players should watch out for that
    kool98769
    Hey, whats the access to the upper frets like?(frets 22-24). Also, i have heard from a friend that a few of the upper frets are scalloped. Is this true? Thanks
    MT Zombie
    Just one question really, I tried this guitar in my local guitar shop and i am now getting it for my 18th in a couple of months. but, reading several reviews people can't seem to make their mind up whether its a 3piece neck or a 5 piece. I always thought it was 5pc Some shops are advertising this as 3. Are there cheep ones that i might get ripped off with? Can anyone help, or suggestions for a guitar (probably ibanez) thats better but not much more expensive, I really want the floating bridge, and to be honest im also not seeing the problem with the bridge either, but oh well.
    E V H 5150
    I usually pick in between the two humbuckers on my guitar. Is that bad positioning, because I saw some dude shredding hardcore with my guitar, and his picking hand was above over the low-e string, and I haven't taken time to play like that.
    yoyo1299
    most people rest their pinky and ring finger of their right hand [if you're a right handed player] on the body of the guitar just below the bridge, it works, and don't put PRESSURE on the bridge.... if you do, then you can't solo properly dude
    Steven Jack
    Dudes thanks for all the great comments, i've just secured one and am gettin it at the end of the week
    millsie123
    This guitar is indeed immense, however there is no need to flame each other about where your bloody picking hand is! Just play where it's comfortable for you, to answer Anathema07's questions, it's a fault common to all floating tremolo systems due to their design, they're supossed to detune the strings, thats why you can 'whammy' both ways i have this guitar, and i recommend this guitar
    Weybl Himself
    Wolverin wrote: You know what all ibanez sound pretty good and this isn't an exception.Unfortunately this like all other ibanez has a f---ing stupid bridge.You cant rest your wrist on the bridge because the strings get detuned if you do so.Tell me is it possible to play hours long solos without resting wrist on the bridge.That would be painful. I would rather want a fixed bridge like that of a Fender Strat on this Guitar.
    Get a G3 DVD and check out Satch and Vai, that's how you play solos without resting on the bridge.
    jimshoe505
    Well, we obviously know that wolverin doesnt really know what he is talking about. He just has nothing better to do but sit on here and bitch and moan. Quite frankly, hes just like the rest of you. You all have nothing to do but sit on here a review guitars. I think that is a waste of time and you all are idots for it. I own an RG 320 with the whole floyd rose deal and I have never had a problem with "de-tunning" of the strings due to hand placement. You would have to have to have used some force down on the strings or you could just be stupid and not know how to lock your stings in correctly. Anywho, thank you all for giving me the inspiration to write this letter, this memo if you will of pitty upon you people. thanks again!
    SpeedCacophony
    this guitar is good, although there are some flaws that you mat find if you play alot on it, as you may have to adapt certain aspects of your playing to be asble to achieve what you want with it. personally i found this guitar more suited towards legato and swept arpeggio based work, with it slightly tailing of towards the 16th fret in terms of alternate picked capability. thats not a lack of technique on my part as i have perfect technique- i just find it easier to play fast shred runs on my mates K-602 as you can notice where the quality and money has gone into it. regardless this is a fantastic second or third guitar and it has definately helped my development in a more virtuotus direction. also a tip for palm muting and the bridge- jst be gentle and have a light hover above your bridge or a slight rest, try to develop your pm without too much force from you picking hand, and try to restrict/limit how much your hand moves at high speed when practicing as this will make it easier to solo/shred when playing freel. good luck with this guitar-it definately served me well