RG1570 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1570

Price paid: C$ 899

Purchased from: Mill Music

I purchased this guitar to play metal, shred, and '80s hair metal. The guitar was pretty much built for these genres! I love the neck, and the unfinished back of it makes it really great for moving around quickly. the AANJ proves better high fret access than my Gibson SG (due in part to the SG's strap location). The bridge pickup does produce a bit of noise, and single coil is noisy as all hell, but I barely use it. The pickups are really where this guitar fails, however. The neck pickup is very muddy, the single coil is lifeless, and the Bridge pickup is extremely thin and trebly. I'm switching them out for DiMarzios as soon as I can. This is really the only downfall I've found with the sound.

This guitar is perfect for the styles I play with it. I've been playing around 4 years, and am recording a Demo with my band, played gigs at outdoor festivals, and radio stations in Canada and the US are requesting our Demo as soon as we finish to play the songs. And this guitar is what I've used on all of them! I compared it to other superstrat styled guitars like the B.C. Rich Gunslinger, and Jackson guitars but I ultimatly chose the Ibanez because I loved the feel, and the Price! The one thing I don't like is the pickups, but that will soon be fixed. I own a Ceriatone 36 Watt head, Marshall Cabinet (MG, unfortunatly), B-52 AT-112 amplifiers, and a Gibson SG Special guitar. If this was stolen, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. Great guitar, and I highly recomend it to any shredders on a budget!

I have used this guitar at every gig I've played since I got it, and it is holding up fine. I've hit the headstock against doors, dropped the case, and had it sliding around in the back of a truck (in it's case, of course) and it is fine except for one small dent. This was caused by a drumstick being thrown at it by my drummer. I don't assosiate myself with him very much, any more. I Would never gig without a backup however, due to the floating bridge system. I have 100% confidence in the elctronics of the guitar working properly, though. The finish does not look like it will wear easily at all, and it would be a shame if it did! it's a very beautiful guitar.

From the factory, the action was extremely low with very little fret buzz. The pickups were at a good height, except for the single coil. I had to lower it because it was getting in the way of my picking hand, but as I said I rarely use it. The bridge was set up fine, everything was routed out well and the finish had no flaws. The hardware was in good condition, the pickup selector doesn't produce any noise, and the neck is attached properly. Ibanez did a great job ensuring this guitar was ready to rock straight from the factory! I Love the neck on it, and it's really a joy to play.

This guitar is a 2008 Ibanez RG1570, made in Japan. It features a wizard prestige neck, 18mm at the first fret and 20 mm at the 12th, all access bolt-on neck joint, and 24 jumbo frets. Mine is mirage blue finish, and I think it looks really great. MB shifts from black to sparkling blue, depending on what angle you look at it. It has a floating bridge system, the Edge-Pro, which is a very reliable system. So far I've only had to tune it 3 times, and I use the bar heavily. It's got H/S/H Passive pickups built by Ibanez. One tone, one volume, 5-way switch. Pretty straightforward control layout. Comes with a prestige case, from Team J-Craft.

EmuChicken
    I have the suede black one, nice to play. ... That guy above said its "medium-light"... I'd want to push in and say its more of a medium weight... maybe crossing over to heavy... although not as heavy as a gibson LP! ... Dont know about you guys, but one thing about this guitar that I dont really like is the wood usage.. whilst playing unplugged, the sound doesnt "feel good" in comparison to a mahogany (my other guitars- ibanez 2020x/ cheapass wesley honeycomb- lol) The stock pickups are "vintage" pickups, they have some power, but theyre far too clean for my style in music (punk), Id prefer more low eqs and punch for palm mutes! ^-^ ... other than that, its a damn good guitar... ... unless you break a string onstage! (grrr!)
    EmuChicken
    note... if you say you wouldnt take a backup onstage with you... its your funeral! - one string breaks the whole tremolo system screws up and all the other strings will be badly out of tune! :E ... that said, this guitar is damn good, but NOT for beginners!
    blagards
    just a quick question to anyone who has experience of both this and the Ibanez RG370DX. as i am a lefty i have very few options when it comes to buying guitars, and im thinking of buying one of these. which one would you reccommend as being better value for money and as an overall better guitar?
    MrKiller
    Someone told me that the black version on this guitar has some kind of sparks on it (like the mirage blue). Is it true, or is it only black?