RG1570 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1570

My music style is varied, I play small amounts of metal, some 80s-90s rock, indie/alternative rock, etc. This plays most genres pretty well, despite being labeled as a metal guitar (I can play Jimi Hendrix songs and they sound great). The sound is very bright, a bit too bright to be honest. It doesn't have the chunky sound of mahogany, but with a bit of EQ and better pickups, it sounds alright. It has a lot of tonal variety, and with the combination of the whammy bar and the HSH pickup set up, it can make a plethora of different sounds. It doesn't have a lot of sustain however (the fact that it has a floating bridge, a thin body, and 5 coils of pickups under it kills the sustain). At the 12th fret, clean it rings out for about 7 seconds. My amp is a Peavey Vypyr 30, not the greatest amp ever built, but it sounds pretty decent through it.

I play a wide variety of music, and this fits most of them pretty well. I've been playing for 2 years now, and this is by far the best guitar I own (compared to my Ibanez Acoustic, my Epiphone Les Paul, and my now sold MIM Strat). If it was stolen, I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I love the tonal variety and the sound quality, but I dislike the extremely bright sound it has. I wish the tremolo bar would stay in one place longer and it had a darker tone, but there's nothing about it that's really bad.

This guitar will stand live playing perfectly fine, its hardware seems very durable, and I've seen people do things with this bridge that I wouldn't even dream of doing with other bridges (Steve Vai has a part of his Live acts where he swings his guitar around only by the tremolo bar). The strap buttons seem very solid, but I'd still put strap locks on anyway (I would on any guitar though, nothing specifically wrong with this one). As I mentioned before, the finish, while stunning, is not very durable. It chips easily, however it doesn't seem like it'd just wear off. So besides chipping, you don't really have to worry about the finish rubbing off or anything. I will warn you though, basswood dents fairly easily.

The factory set up was alright, but the bridge was tilted towards the neck, and the tuning stability was a bit lacking. After a set up at Guitar Center, it was fine, and holds a tuning great. The guitar has no flaws at all, except a somewhat poor factory set up. From my experience, Ibanez has a great quality control, and the Prestige models especially have great QC. The only other problem besides the setup, seems to be that the whammy bar cannot stay in one place very well. It'll always point towards the floor, which gets kind of annoying to have to pull it towards you before each use.

The Ibanez 1570 is made in Japan and is a wonderful guitar. It has 24 jumbo frets, and it has an extremely thin neck. Its the thinnest guitar neck I've played so far (which some people might not like of course), but its also fairly wide, so people with short fingers might find it hard to play on the low E string. It has a rosewood fretboard, and the inlays are nothing special (Just the Standard dots). The body is made of basswood, and although basswood is known as a "cheap wood", this wood is cut from only high quality pieces of basswood. The body is in a Strat/Super Strat design, and has a magnificent finish. Its blue, but it shimmers and sparkles in the light, not so much that it looks idiotic though. (The color mine is is Mirage Blue). I will admit the finish is flimsy. If you hit it it will chip and expose the wood underneath. If you can't stand seeing your guitar chipped, don't get this guitar. I've chipped it twice in the past week on the arms of my chair (though I'm very clumsy). Its my fault anyway for playing it on a chair with arms. The bridge is the Edge Pro design. It holds a tuning well, and won't go sharp or flat if you rest your hand on it (at least to a reasonable extent). It can do dive bombs, flutters, all the Steve Vai tremolo tricks, etc. You can hold it up by just the arm (but I really wouldn't for fear of the arm coming out). If you're a fan of double stops however, think twice, because even though its pretty good with it, double stops sound off. Of course you can just block off the tremolo if you don't want it. It features passive pickups, which aren't that great. I'd get them switched out. The pickup configuration is H/S/H, which allows for a huge tonal range. It can go from heavy distortion with the humbuckers, to a classic single coil sound between the humbucker and the single coil. It has a 5 way Switch, and has a master volume and tone knob. The tuners are just Standard, but the guitar has a locking nut, that works pretty well. In fact, the tuners are pretty decent too. Even with the nut unlocked, I can do some tremolo bar abuse, and it won't go too far out of tune. The whole thing came with a very nice case (fits in the space for the guitar wonderfully) and a couple hex wrenches (and a whammy bar of course).

mad mecca
    ihave bought this guitar its great. the only work i have had done on it was have the trem bolts changed to the old ones with the locking bolt inside the trem bolts. which has improved tuning stabilaty. mine is 2009 model left handed cost me 560 brand new.