RG170 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG170

Purchased from: Used - Musician's Choice

I play classic rock (i. e. Led Zeppelin), heavy metal (Iron Maiden), and many other varieties such as garage rock. I use this with a Marshall MG30DFX and there is no background humming or noise at all with any setting. It's very easy to produce pinch-harmonics on the guitar, the whammy-bar works surprisingly well, and the genres you can play with this guitar; Ibanez is very well-known for making versatile guitars.

Like I had written before, I play different genres such as classic rock, hard rock, and metal; this guitar matches all of it. I've been playing for two years but studied music and the piano since I was 6. I also own a Yamaha classical. If this guitar was stolen, I would hunt down the asshole, beat him up, and take this back. If I couldn't, I would buy this again just for the extremely good quality and low price compared to other brands. I love everything about this guitar, the only thing that I hate is the tendency for it go out of tune easily after the whammy-bar's been used. I've compared it to crappy Squiers, BC Rich Mockingbirds, and Yamahas, and I chose this out of all of them because of its versatility, aesthetic appeal, and its Wizard II neck. The only thing I wished this thing had included with it would be locking tuners.

This guitar has withstood live playing before, and the strap buttons are very solid. The hardware will last for a long time and I would use it at a gig without a backup. The finish is very durable, and will not wear off over time with playing.

I bought this used so I can't really judge that much on how the guitar was set-up at the factory. The pickups were adjusted very well though, and there were no flaws in the finish. The quality of the wood is also extremely good. I found however, that there was some poor soldering inside the guitar and the input socket jack was loose, and this is a common problem. Just take it to your local music store, and they'll fix it very quickly.

This model was made in Korea, 2004. It has 24 1/2 frets and a fast Wizard II neck. The guitar is solid-top, and I believe the body is agathis wood while the neck is light maple. The finish is midnight blue, and the body style is a Strat design although with shark-tooth inlays which gives this guitar an edge. The bridge is a floating one w/ tremelo. It has volume, tone, and a 5-way selector. There are two humbuckers and a single-coil on the RG170, and are Seymour Duncans. It has stock tuners which are fine, but I'm hoping to get locking ones so I can abuse the whammy-bar to my heart's content.