RG170 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG170

Purchased from: Bay City Musicworks

I play metal and hard rock, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden etc, and it suits this style well, both with its looks and sound. I'm using a Peavey rage, but as soon as I get money I'll probably get a Peavey Studio Pro or a 50 watt Marshall. When I play it through my guitar teacher's Marshall stack it sounds freakin amazing! The 2 humbuckers and 1 single pickup give you a wide range of sounds at the flick of a switch. There is a bit of noise when using the distortion, especially from the single coil pickup, which is to be expected when using a single by itself. The sound I get from it now is sadly restricted by my amp.

I play metal and hard rock, and this is a great match. The RG body is awesome, and the pickups are perfect (or close to it). I've been playing for about 7 months, and this is the first half-decent guitar that I've owned. I used to have a Samick Strat clone, which I got sick of very quickly because of its single coil pickups. I compared this to a J&D Les Paul copy, which was a very nice guitar, which I might get next, but I chose this one because of the 3 pickups and the 24 frets. I also compared it to my mate's Yamaha, which his dad has done some serious work on, and personally I thought that the Ibanez came out on top.

I'd use this guitar live (if I had a band) but I'd need a backup or two, mainly because I'm a bit of a nut (I used to break strings weekly). The strap buttons are rock solid, I have a hard time taking my strap off. The hardware seems ok, however the plastic bit on the pickup selector did come off on th first day I had it, this can be fixed with a tiny bit of glue or something. The finish is good, mine is black however, and the wholo thing looks like a giant fingerprint after about half an hour of jamming. So only get the black if your willing to do a whole lot of cleaning, or just to have a really dirty-looking guitar.

When I got it everything was perfect, no chips or dents. The strings were new, and everything was nice and shiny. My neck has a slight bend in it, due to using a couple of thicker guage strings, Ibanez guitars ship with 0.09 - 0.42 strings, which I found better than the 0.10 - 0.46 strings that I was using, but when I broke a string, I didn't have any 0.9s spare.

Despite the fact that this is a reasonably cheap guitar, it still kicks ass! 2 humbuckers and one single pickup give you a huge range of sounds. The floating tremolo is great, I really had to manhandle my old guitars fixed trem to do dive-bombs. It looks good, and it's got everything I want/need.

Subliminal_Daze
    I own this guitar, and I'm proud to say that I believe it's out of production now. It gives a real raw, sharp sound because of all of the maple. Articulation's great for an inexpensive guitar...but no sustain.