RG170 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG170

Purchased from: Music And Arts

I used to think this guitar was so radd. I actually have a previous review somwhere in the middle. Anyways, as I've improved I've realized the pickups are quite low quality. The worst being the bridge pickup. The neck and middle single coil are ok if your playing some blues stuff or anything clean. The neck pickup is subtly mellow and sounds pretteh good clean and ok on distortion, you might want to think about replacing all the pickups. The middle pickup is very single coil Strat sounding, but not quite as twangy and poppy. As for the bridge pickup, I used to like it, but as I've improved as musician it sounds way to thin and whiney, and not good tom delonge whiney either. Good for begginners Who can't quite recognize pitches and equalization. It used to suit my music style, but not so much anymore, because of this, a few days ago I bought a Gfs Crusader to put in the bridge. overall all the pickups are muddy and you should change them.

I play/write/listen to punk rock/punk/ska/punkska/punk alternative/classic rock/psychadelic rock ect. It matches to an extent, like the ska, since that's mostly clean, and the pickups sound aright clean, it's ok. I've been playing about 4 or 5 years, and I have a Epi Les Paul Standard Plus, a tom delonge Stratocaster, a B-52 AT-100 half stack, Fender champion 30, Boss blues driver and some other stuff. I hope to be purchasing a new guitar soon, deciding between 3 or 4. I hate the stock pickups and the way the action is right now, but I'll be changing both of that soon. I didn't compare this to anything at the time, because it was about 5 years ago. I kind of wich I had chosen a Standard Strat instead to begin on, even though those suck, there's just so much more you can do to them to kustomize them. If it were stolen after I customized it. I'd do somthing along the lines dismemberment decapition to the cunt Who stole it. As for the stuff I wish I had, there's a couple guitars I've got my eye on, a Dunlop 535q wah pedal I plan to pick up tomorrow, overall, it's a decent guitar, for begginners and anyone Who wants a pretty kool guitar to upgrade, don't get blue, cause that's copying meh you bastards! Have fun with it, don't be in it for the money, later days.

Stock, this guitar would most likley not withstand Live playing, unless it's Brand New and you screw everything down tightly. the hardware is pretteh good, seeing as how the only real hardware is the chrome bridge and tunersand strap buttons. The strap buttons are pretteh good, maybe come loose every few months, but just screw them back in and there you go. I wont use it live until I have it perfected for myself. The finish will definatley last, but taht doesn't really matter to meh, because soon mine will be covered in stickers and you wont see much of the blue, very punk rock.

It came decently set up, not to my personal preferences, not low enough, I'll be taking it to guitar center to have a pickup installed and set up for 10 gauge ernie ball strings and fix the wiring. I think the wiring is cheap, because latley the tone knob doesn't work, you kinda have to tap it for it to kick in. Came fairly well from the factory, when your just starting out you don't know what you want/like yet. You just wanna play.

Most likley made in in 2002 seeing as how I got it in 03 and I'm sure it was made in Asia somwhere, but Who cares where, it's asia. 24 frets on a fairly thin almost you shaped maple neck, with a rosewood fretboard. The body is made from basswood and the finish is a metallic jewel blue, also comes in black and newly added red. Also, the bridge is a 2 post tremelo which I guess is a little better than a Vintage tremelo, I'm not a fan of tremelos so I don't care. Passive powersound pickups, but Who wants batterypowered pickups anyway. One volume and one tone knob, and a 5-way switch for a neck humbucker a middle single coil and lastly another humbucker in the bridge. Non locking tuners, Standard Ibanez. Accesories included are a few allan head wrenches and a wammy bar.

DevilsDance76
    i always thought if you learn on a rubbish guiar and et good using that, then you'll really impressed with yourself by seeing how good you are when you get a good guitar
    dually noted, I'm lookin for a epiphone les paul standard right now
    Black-Metal
    DevilsDance76 wrote: I own this beast...it taught me how to play....and made me look kick ass in the process