RG170 review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Ibanez: RG170

Purchased from: studio 19

This guitar was my first electric guitar so I didn't care about sound for the first year or so. To start off with I was only playing punk and rock and it suited it well and sounded ok (nothing special) but in the last year I have started playing a lot of metal and this guitar doesn't really cut it. The pickups are muddy in drop c and the single coil is noisy all the time. I'm using the guitar through a Laney 30W amp and for punk and rock it sounds ok and with a fair bit of tweaking I've managed to get as good metal sound out of it, but it's just to much hassle. Stick to simpler genres of music with this guitar.

I play punk, rock and metal. This guitar can do rock and punk, and metal if you are prepared to do some mucking around with it to get it sounding good. I have been playing for 3 years now and I am upgrading guitars to an S series because I need something that will last longer. if it were stolen or lost I would get a guitar with a locking nut or a fixed bridge to save all the tuning worries this guitar gave me. I love the RG body style but I hate how temperamental this guitar is, one day it works, the next day something goes wrong. I compared this with a cheap Epiphone Les Paul and this one seemed like the best bet because I felt more comfortable playing it. I wish it had better quality everything basically but I can't really complain because it's an entry level electric that's designed to be cheap.

This guitar will withstand Live playing and it seems like it will last, it just needs a lot of tweaking and fiddling to get it to stay together. The strap buttons are solid and they are about the only thing on the guitar that's never failed me. I always use a backup guitar at gigs because you never know when something will go wrong or break. The finish has lasted well too.

The set up when I got it was fine, no worries at all. Everything was great, for about a year and a bit. Then the problems started. One of the saddles had a bur on it and I broke about 3 strings in 2 weeks till I realized what the problem was. The nut wore down on the low e string groove and made the string buzz like crazy. Because the tremolo was non-locking I had to get more sprigs put on it to strap it down to stop it going out of tune every song. Recently the volume pot has started crackling badly when I turn it right down which is annoying as hell. It also came with a bit of paint chipped off near the lead input.

It has all the features you would expect from an electric guitar: 24 jumbo frets, 25.5 scale, maple neck, basswood body, non-locking tremolo, H/S/H pickup configuration, one volume, one tone control, 5-way pickup selector, Super Strat body, passive electronics.

desolatehighway
    I own this guitar. It was alright for a beginner guitar, but I wouldn't advise you going on stage with it. Unless your band is tone def, or your playing rhythm, with the volume at 1/3 of the lead. The sound is really muddy, and just not worth the money you have to put in it just to get it to sound decent. I just got an Ibanez ART 100, and it blows the RG170 out of the water. And the ART was only $100 more.