RG170 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG170

Purchased from: eBay

On the guitar I play rock, hard rock, metal, heavy metal, blues-rock, and a little bit of everything. It suits me very well. I have a Marshall amp, 10 watts. Comes with Overdrive and Tone. It isn't noisy and it doesn't give any feedback. The guitar can make a lot of noises if you listen to Dragonforce it makes all of those noises.

This is a good match for all music I play. I've been playing for about two years now and I also own a Greg Bennet Acoustic. If it was lost, I would get a different guitar because I don't like getting the same guitar over and over and over. I love the entire thing, I hate nothing about it, and my favorite feature is the whammy bar with a locking nut tremelo. I don't wish it had anything else to it.

The guitar will withstand live playing. The hardware does seem like it will last. The strap buttons are solid. I can depend on it. I would use it in a gig without a backup. The finish is good enough to last and it doesn't seem thin and easy enough to wear off with lots of playing.

The action was a little bit high so I paid to lower it. The pickups were adjusted greatly. It came with humbachers. When I got it, the neck was dusty, the nut was super glued in place, the strings were rusted, and I needed to wax the body. It had a properly bookmatched top and a properly routed bridge.

I don't exactly know what year this guitar was made in but it was made in Japan by the Ibanez company. The guitar has 24 frets. The fret space gets smaller as you go down the fretboard. The neck is made of rosewood. It has a solid black top. I don't know what the body is made out of. The finish is solid black. Its body is somewhat shaped like a Stratocaster. The controls on the guitar are Volume, Tone, and a 5-way Selector. The tuners are non-locking Grovers.

Ashir Daniel
    Yeah, it's basically an RG120 w/the difference being the single coil pickup in the middle and its made of basswood - not that cheap agathis crap. It's got a decent feel to it, but don't be fooled - it won't keep up with you in the long run. It can't stay in tune too well, so it can't even be used for a backup guitar. The tuners are crap, and the construction - well you do get what you pay for. Good for beginners though - unfortunately you will spend more time tuning it instead of playing - very frustration for any aspiring lead player.
    lingyding2
    Hey, i am thinking of getting this for christmas. It will be 120 is that good? Will i need to change the pickups at all ? and if so what pickups do you recomend ? thanks guys.