RG1XXV review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG1XXV

Price paid: € 950

Purchased from: Local Dealer

I keep it short: it's not the best guitar I have ever played in any category. Still, it is the most versatile guitar I have ever played. You can virtually do everything with it and every setting is just really really good. For shredding Paul Gilbert style it is also really great. Great attack! Huge variety of tones and as mentioned above you can really play with the volume knob and switch position to get a lot of tones without even switching your amp channel. Great stuff! You might give it a 8 or 9, if you only play one style, since it isn't perfect in by means but still it has a huge variety and a lot of great sounds. (If your only style is shredding with moderate high gain I would still rate it a 10 though). A limitation is ultra-dark-brute-dropped A metal but then again there are few guitars that do well in that category and being still useful in any other way.

I play Metal, Hard Rock, Neo-Classical Shred, Alternative, little bit blues. I play for 9 years know and own Gibson, Fernandes and Ibanez guitars but used to play a lot of other instruments as well. I often buy and sell guitars and play in a lot of bands so I have quite an insight on guitars. If it were stolen I would cry and buy another one but in yellow cause I can never have another. So strong are my feelings for this one. If you have the money and the bravery to play such an extravagant guitar get it! Closing words: Excuse my bad English, I am not a native.

I give it a 10 because Ibanez products mostly last a live time and the KTS Titanium makes the neck unbreakable but keep in mind, that I downt owe the guitar for long and this review mainly targets players who want an opinion on this guitar as long as it is availlable in stores.

I give it 10 since it looks incredible. Best finish ever. I got the pink one. Off course! Also shaping is great and mine had no flaws at all but your experience may differ. Action was quite low and perfect for me without any buzzing. Pickups were also set pretty well.

The guitar has 24 frets with nice rounded edges on the frets itself. The neck is ultra-thin and reinforced with KTS-Titanium rods. I love the raw wooden neck on this one. It just feels so much better than a finished neck. The body is made out of basswood, which has quite a bad reputation but Ibanez uses it nearly every RG even the most expensive and in my ears it always sounds really nice but with limited bass range. The bridge tremolo is nice because you have the option of having it free floating or locked with two additional splittings. (Not complicated at all) The DiMarzio IBZ pickups sound really great. They also have kind of a bad reputation but there are no "standard IBZ DiMarzios" they are all different, just the same name and these are really good ones. Single coil has really a lot less output what actually makes this guitar ingenious with amps that reacts sensitive to the guitar output. The condenser on the volume knob also helps. The only thing you could at to this guitar is coil split and a kill switch but what is already there is still impressive and way ahead of most guitars in stores and I couldn't even get into detail on every single feature of the guitar.

stealstrings
    Plus your grammar and spelling are wrong
    Hey didn't you read right at the bottom? He says English isn't his native language. And so what if he gave it all tens? He obviously thinks it's a great guitar. Give the guy a break!
    Northernmight
    Ibeanez
    Ablast wrote: All tens but you said there were a couple of minor flaws. Plus your grammar and spelling are wrong
    So are yours.
    Ibeanez
    Showiddlydiddly
    Mazzakazza wrote: Since when does basswood have a bad reputation...
    Sparda93
    Northernmight wrote: Scar Symmetry? They got big? Haha, i know the singer. Loosely. Went to a boarding school with him. Good they are getting some success. Great guy.
    Which singer? Alvestm left years ago, and i`ve been a fan of SS for years, back when they were almost underground
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: If the you can...
    I was trying to say if you can... Sorry for that mistake. You shouldn't make any grammar mistakes when complaining about bad grammar.
    MrFlibble
    This guitar does have a finished neck. You don't get raw maple necks on production guitars, especially ones this thin. It's far too risky - raw maple is prone to warping, especially with thin necks. The metal rods going through the neck are only enough to stop it warping in conjunction with a finish. To stop a maple neck warping it has to have a finish and rods, a finish and it must be fairly thick or if you're going to have it raw at all then it needs a double truss rod. Even then it's a good idea to give it a basic oil finish. You're not going to find actually raw necks on production guitars other than the all-rosewood necks that PRS sometimes put out in limited batches. Otherwise, raw necks are a custom thing. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred when you think you're playign a ''raw'' neck, what you're playing on is either an oil-finished neck or one with a satin poly finish, which is what this particular guitar does indeed use.
    gman128
    Vinceas88 wrote: Mazzakazza wrote: Look it up on the Internet Also, literally no maker uses it for its best guitars. It has a reputation as a really cheap wood, since many guitars beneath 200 Euros use it. This brings me to Ibeanez. It matters. Play a 650Euro gibson and then a custom shop one. The Les Paul faded special for example also has burstbuckers but it can not hold up to the really expensive gibsons. For one its made out of more pieces glued together. Also wood that has aged more sounds better AND in mahogani you have the biggest differences. Mahogani has a lot of different species. Honduras mahogani for example is the most expensive one you never see on a regular guitar but it weights nothing compared to standart mahogani.
    You are seriously misinformed my friend. Suhr guitars (boutique quality, on a par with PRS and tom Anderson) uses basswood. John Suhr claims that basswood with a maple cap is the holy grail of tonewoods for balance as far as electric guitars go. Good quality basswood is not cheap, not rubbish and plenty of guitar makers use it for their best guitars. Ibanez use it for their JEM and JS series. Do you think Satch and Vai would be playing basswood guitars if they sounded crap? they can pick any wood they like and they choose basswood. John Petrucci's Music man sigs and Van halen's EVH guitars- ditto. Both CHOSE basswood, the EVH and JP guitars cost a bomb. Low end alder/mahog/korina/basswood etc.. will be used in cheap to make, and hence low end guitars. Every manufacturer reserves their best wood for their custom shop stuff, and this may well include the nicest species of basswood.
    party_on_wayne
    My thoughts- These guitars are very flashy. I wouldn't touch one because I know I don't have the chops to back up the flashiness. I also really like neck binding on my guitars. Not sure if anything is added tone/sound-wise, but I like the binding because it seems more "put together" if you will. I do like all the options of the 3 pickups, but personally, I mostly hang out on the bass pickup, so its not mandatory for me. My first guitar was an Ibanez, so I'll always have a soft spot for them in my heart, even if I play other guitars. Good review!
    Vinceas88
    I am the reviewer. I registered to the site to make a few statements: 1. Yes, my spelling and grammar were horrible, but so what? This is a brand new guitar and I was lucky that my dealer had one. I wouldnt have bought it on the internet cause there were literally no reviews. So I thought to myself that I could do a contribution to the guitar player community by making one. 2. I played this guitar at a marshall jcm, jvm, dizel herbert, Blackstar HT 100, Tubemeister, Blackheart 100w, Peavey 5150 and Peavey Valveking and it always sounded great. Also the guitar still has no flaws or cheap parts I didnt recognize before. For 950 Euros and even less in other countries this guitar is simply a 10 in every way. I played BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Gibson, Fernandes and even a 80s made Burny in the last years and this guitar is my favourite. It just delivers. 3. I think I made myself clear why this guitar is good. If you are not looking for a hard rock or heavy metal axe or just a versatile guitar dont buy it. Its all in the review. If you want to sound like ACDC buy a SG, if you want to sound like Hendrix get a Strat. But if you love 80s metal, shred or if you just want to experiment with a lot of different sounds. This guitar will do you no harm. @ kirchev Well i bought it so I have to justify the price, dont I? The neck on this guitar and the fret edges are custom shop like quality. It just feels great. Also the Ibanez floyd is great. And trust me! People will either hate or love this guitar. It really is a poser Item.
    FaceTomorrow
    This is a great guitar. Its a limited edition 25th Anniversary model, because the RG was introduced in 1987. Theres also a S1XXV, because the S is also 25 years old. That ones nice as well, but needs the pickups changed.
    Ablast
    MaggaraMarine
    If the you can easily understand what the reviewer is trying to say, then there's no point of complaining about the grammar, and I think it was easy to understand what the reviewer meant. I have seen much much worse reviews that have so bad grammar mistakes that you can't understand a word what they are talking about. (Check out the Epiphone Embassy Special IV review. The worst grammar I have ever seen.) But I understand complaining about bad grammar. And I hate it when people confuse for example "your" and "you're." Good grammar makes the review easier to understand. You should always spell check the review and if you can't write in proper English, then don't write a review!
    Jyrgen
    The pink one looks really good but I'm dubious about it. Like there must be a catch... I wonder if the titanium helps with weather/temperature changes at all?
    PerpetualBurn
    I have the pink model. Stock pickups are great...swapped them out with the John Petrucci set because I could but honestly there isn't a huge difference in "quality" just a different tone. Great guitar definitely on par with the Prestige line. I would say it compares well to my RG20th and has a darker tone.
    edbert
    Both the pink and yellow look awesome, I almost bought one of these but I opted for an rg920 instead. Ibanez did a nice job with their new premium line.
    grungelive72
    I think I liked the S series ones better, BUt these still look gnarly. I'd still like to see a MIJ RG550 reissue though!
    Clervaux
    I give it all 10s just for the looks and the reputation. Hell, I would give elevens if possible.
    EpiExplorer
    Ibeanez wrote: Showiddlydiddly wrote: Mazzakazza wrote: Since when does basswood have a bad reputation... Since people forgot that good quality wood sounds good, almost regardless of the actual species of wood. The quality of the wood does not affect the sound. The species matters the most. You don't see anyone making guitars out of good quality pine, for instance.
    Not unless you're Stagg...!
    kirchev
    crazy looking guitar , but I still think its a bit over priced...
    blkspade
    I played one of these in SamAsh a few months ago, in pink, and absolutely loved it. If I had the money I would have bought it. It played and felt every bit as good as my RG 2550 prestige, if not better. I liked the pickups more than I remember them on the 2550 when it was stock, this may have to do with having a crappier amp back then. Playing the 1XXV on the Haze 15 in store, which I also own (though not stock) was quite pleasing. I don't have the room, or the need for a third guitar, but I really want one of these while they are still available.
    ScoutPilfer
    Bought one and LOVE it. It is a tad over flashy for certain songs but thats alright. Whenever bandmates or friends come over they want to play it. Just feels 'right'.
    Vinceas88
    Mazzakazza wrote: Since when does basswood have a bad reputation...