RG20061 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG20061

Purchased from: Russo's Guitar Center

This guitar sounds great. At home I play it through a Peavey Envoy 110 amp, with a GarageTone delay and Crybaby Classic Wah. It's a fairly versatile guitar. It sounds really nice clean, not too bright like my old Squire Strat, but it's with distortion that this guitar shines. The DiMarzio pickups are simply outstanding. Even with high gain, chords ring out without a wall of fuzz, and single note lines have all the bite that one would expect. Harmonics in particular come out crystal clear, both natural and artificial. My style is mostly hard rock/metal in the same vein as Led Zeppelin and Iron Maiden, and this guitar performs admirably in those roles. When I occasionally dapple in classical, funk, or other genres, it suits my needs and then some. One of the most versatile sounding guitars I have ever played.

Like I said, this guitar can match a lot of styles. I've been playing just over two years and decided the time was right to upgrade from my Squier Strat. I am very glad that I did. If this guitar was stolen, I would be heartbroken because I doubt I'd be able to find another in as good a condition for as good a price (sticker price for it was $899.99 for just the guitar, but I haggled my way to $799.99, the case, and the whammy bar). I compared it to loads of other Ibanez products from just about every guitar store in my city, mostly RGs, and this one really stood head and shoulders above the rest. It's hard to pick my favorite thing about it. I'd say a three-way tie between the pickups, floating bridge, and finish (I've always had a thing for guitars finished this way). Overall, it's one of the best guitars I've ever had the pleasure of playing. I think this one will keep me happy for quite a while.

Every part of the guitar seems made to last for a while. The one previous owner of the guitar was working in the store I bought it from, and he told me he had never had a problem with it, he just traded it in to upgrade. I don't think I would ever gig without a backup with a double locking guitar though, just because they're such a hassle to tune and restring if something went wrong. I do have one problem with it, but it may not actually be a problem. Experimenting with whammy shenanigans, I managed to get my third string to drop down a whole step. It was probably my fault, I was getting pretty extreme with the thing, but other than that I have confidence in this guitar's reliability.

I bought the guitar used, and the set-up was fine. I haven't noticed any real problems, except that for some reason they had it tuned to D standard, which was sort of annoying. The pickups are a little higher than I'm used to, but it's not really a problem when I strum between them and not right over one of them. Other than that, the only problems with it were a few tiny scratches, but they're only noticible if you're looking for them.

This is an Ibanez Prestige RG20061 made in Japan in 2006. Twenty-four jumbo frets, rosewood fingerboard. Body is ash, neck is maple. It's a neck through design. The finish is a chocolately brown stain that shows off the natural look of the ash. Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo, two DiMarzio IBZ humbuckers in neck and Bridge positions. Controls are one volume knob, one tone knob, and a five-way selector. Tuners are locking Gotohs. All hardware is black. Came with a hard shell case and the tremolo bar.

sewoo55
    You can't go wrong with an RG prestige but i don't really like that natural finish....
    BigHeadClan
    AxeHappy
    Sure, the low end TRS stuff isn't great and don't get me started on the single locking stuff but the Edge and Lo-Pro are still widely regarded as some of, if not the, best tremolo units ever made.
    Noslo13
    ProgJazzMath
    Why doesn't Ibanez make beautiful guitars like these anymore? I'd love to see more natural finished RG's with either no inlays or dot inlays, rather than stupid squiggly lines etc.
    Charlie4
    Even as a fellow Ibby owner I have to say the finishes on the majority of their line of guitars are either a)plain ugly or b)plain boring. The ibby's for the Japanese market are beautiful imo.
    Noslo13 wrote: Yeah, I fixed that tuning problem. Turns out one of the locks wasn't as tight as it ought to have been, and for some reason I didn't check that until yesterday. But it's in perfect working order now.
    Love a natural wooden finish.
    stonyman65
    Hells.Mascot
    stonyman65 wrote: BigHeadClan wrote: Some of Ibanez older locking trems can't keep tune when you play with the whammy to any large degree, they have however fixed that problem with all their new models. All in all good review! actually, the opposite is true, the edge and lo pro edge where the best best trems(even better than the OFR) because of the locking pivot posts. it is the new ibanez trems that have been having problems because they try to cut costs by using cheaper metals. I won't buy an Ibanez unless it has the Edge, Lo-pro Edge, edge Pro or if I can retrofit and OFR. anything else is sub par