RG220B review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG220B

I play all form of rock. And this by far surpassing everything I expected with Ibanez. It gives that thunderous tone for rhythm an great clarity for clean tone. I found the powersound pickups to be too mellow for me, so I put a seymour duncan detonator in. For the price I couldn't complain. It still sounds great!

When I was at Guitar Center, I didn't plan on buying this guitar at first. I wanted the RG 320FM, since when I played it, I loved the neck and the sound. While there, I started to play around with the other guitars; IC400, AX models, and other Ibanez models, but I started to compare the two. The only difference I found was the tuners and the bridge on the 320 was black crome instead of just black. Whoppiddy doo. The difference in price was around $150. I could live with black color instead of a FM top. Basically, if you like to play fast, like a guitar that can take a beating, go with any RG model. They all play the same. The prestige is a totally different RG style, don't get them mixed up.

I am definatily going to use this for live gigs. I prefer this over my ESP. EMG pickups aren't all they are cracked up to be anyways. The tuners is the only thing I know won't last due to my strings. I use the X-Rockers, C# tuning. So that is something I will replace later. I don't think I will ever have a major problem with this. Always have to remember people, if the bridge goes out of tune ever, you have to replace the tremelo springs. That happens from using the whammy bar or just using it over time. You'd be amazed what people don't think of thinking it's the guitars fault.

Dude, this guitar is fast playing. The neck floats in your hand. Fast is one good word that describes it. The bridge is right where it should be, low. I can't stand it when the thing pops up and looks taky. The finish is great, I love the black. With the all black hardware, this looks like it's ready to take on anything.

For one, you must compare the features to the other guitars. The RG320 has the exact same stuff! The RG220 comes with a Wizard II neck, which is great for guys with bigger fingers. The thinner Wizard I neck isn't so good for the bigger finger'd player. I love how this neck doesn't have that stupid thumb rest crap. It is more of a bother to me than helpful. The tuners are so-so. They are plastic/metal. But that is easily made up for with the bridge. It has a Edge Pro II bridge, which is the exact same bridge as the 320. The pickups are powersound, which are good for awhile, but not gig worthy. I suggest just taking out the bridge and replacing it.