RG220B review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Ibanez: RG220B

I play metal, stuff like Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Children Of Bodom and all of those include Hi gain amps. When you turn up the gain the pickups give you a crap load of hum. I run my guitar through a Boss NS-2 into my 200 Watt Randall. If I didn't have that Boss pedal I would go insane. Its not as bad as some guitars but its up there. One good thing is it does sound pretty good while playing with distortion on the bridge and neck pickups but any other selection sucks and you shouldent even try it. You have to run alot of gain while using this guitar cause you cant play blues or classic rock with it the sound is just way too thin.

For playing metal it gets the job done. This guitar does very well for drop tunings (if you set it up right). I've been playing for 5 years and if it were lost or stolen with all honesty I would just get another guitar in this price range. My favorite feature on it is that the neck looks cool. I would reccomend it for people beginning or the occasional player. This isnt a pro guitar so dont use it as one is what I'm saying.

It does withstand playing live cause I do it all the time. This is one of three guitars I use live and I do two songs on it everytime we play. The tuning I keep it in is drop C but this thing really eats the strings so I have to replace the strings every week basically or they sound like rubber bands. They have no life to them anymore. Strap buttons are very solid. Hardware is fine. If you were to do a show with it and nothing for backup that would be fine. You wouldn't really have any problem except the flyd rose isnt that great and it might come out of tune a little. And the finish is still fine.

Well when I bought the guitar I didn't know any better and I bought it without the locking screws for the floyd rose ont he neck. I soon realized that and went back and they were cool and took some off a Jackson and gave me 'em. The finish is pretty cool, its titanium. It's awesome in regards to scratches cause you have to look to find one. Also when I got the guitar the volume control was messed up (which I also didn't know better about). It would make a crackling noise when I moved it. Which I since fixed. The wood is decent, I like heavier guitars and this is on the heavier side.

This was made in Korea in 2002. It has a medium neck so it isn't one of those paper thin ones found on some other RGs. It has a cheap Floyd Rose system which usually gets the job done. One tone control, one volume. Passive electronics. 24 frets. 5-way pickup selector. Comes of course with Ibanez stock pickups. Of course these pickups should be replaced if your a more serious musician but if your a beginner this would more than likely be an upgrade for you. It is worth the price but it only meets standards. Mine didnt include anything with it when I purchased it.