RG2228 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2228

Purchased from: GuitarCenter

This guitar can be used for any type of music style, from classical and jazz, to death and thrash metal. The two added bass strings give an even more versatile style of metal, which for me is good, as I play most styles of metal which some times need and extra "chug" if you know what I mean. I run it through my Line 6 Spider III HD150 amp head and a Line 6 Spider III 4X12 Cab. The sounds are great, and as I said before, this works for any genre.

I've been playing for five years, and in 4 and half of those I've always used 6-strings. Even though I still have a 6-string as my backup, just in case something happens, I use this as my regular. If this was lost or stolen, I'll have to think twice about it, cause it took me an @$$ of a long time to get it, I have to care for it with my life.

I've so far used it at three gigs. At one of them, my strap broke and the guitar fell, headstock first to the ground. To my surprising, only 1mm of paint chipped off. But after that incident I've decided to get a couple of good quality straps, and take my backup with me, which is a 6-string.

I just know it must have been tricky to set up an 8 string, but the guys at the factory made and amazing job at it. The guitar was amazing from the time I took it out of the case. Flawless to the bone. The pickups are adjusted perfectly, and create a perfect sound for anything.

This is the first mass produced eight string guitar made. This was started in March 2007, but my buddy talked me into trying one at the local Guitar Center, I fell in love with it. After harassing my parents for about 2 years and getting all A's on my school report, I finally got the eight string monster. It says that is was made in Japan in 2008. Has 24 Jumbo frets, which are perfect for advanced playing, and a 27" scale. Made of a 5-Piece neck (Maple/Wenge/Maple/Wenge/Maple). The body is a basic basswood body, it comes with a Galaxy Black finish and black chrome hardware. The body style is the Standard body style RG body that any Ibanez has, the bridge is a Fixed Edge-III 8 bridge, the pickups are the amazing EMG 808 Humbucking pickups which active of course, and the electronics are a simple 1 Volume, 1 Tone and a 3-Way Switch. This comes with a custom-made case for it.

Andragon
    I wish UG would have a "listening" section in the review, where we would listen to clips showing off the gear's sound. Hmmm... suggestions thread?
    Jesse James TJ
    This guitar looks pretty cool but yeah i wish there was a section where we can listen to it. I wouldn't mind getting one.
    theFACEdude
    At Dimebag RIP, I'm pretty sure 8 string tuning is F#BEADGBe. And yeah, I've been waiting for an 8 string review for a while, this all 10's is annoying
    Paramecium302
    HxCida wrote: Well, it seems cool but I doubt its really the perfect guitar... I doubt any guitar is a perfect 10.
    Exactly, its like macs or PC's, they both have flaws. NO guitar is perfect, nothing is really.
    aznrockerdude
    model_15 wrote: -i dont think anybody really needs all that meat and taters to play metal, and you sir probably just sit around on that 8'th string all day chugaluggin' along with no actual talent correct?
    Let me see you try to play along to Meshuggah.
    manmanster
    dude, even 7 strings sound way too low for me...I don't know what I would do with an 8 string.
    RGshred88
    MESAexplorer
    MESAexplorer
    MossyMan wrote: Your parents paid the 1800 dollars for you? No guitar can make you look cool now sir
    Think of how many parents buy their children cars in high school, and what they may get for graduation, birthdays or whatnot. About half of high school students drive cars well over $15,000 brand new. This guitar is a fraction of what most cars cost. You don't know this kids situation, how can you speak about his parents decision??
    Sharck
    This guitar plays from classical and jazz...
    Really? I'd be very interested in learning what this reviewer knows about classical or jazz guitar, or the last time he played either of them.
    CoreysMonster
    okay, now what bugs me about all 10 reviews is that kids like this who get an expensive guitar think it's totally awesome, and played through a spider III you cant really tell a difference in tone *rant* anyway, I heard that the EMG 808's are severly lacking and sound very muddy.
    Echoplex
    MESAexplorer wrote: I've owned my RG2228 for quite a while, had my ups and downs, I promise to write a review within the next 2 hours.
    I don't see it yet
    kai2demax
    richard_edwards
    All 10's! Again! UG, sort it! Line 6 Spiders make a mockery of tone. Use a proper amp, then review it again and be more critical. And you must have really rich 'rents.
    HxCida
    JustLikeMe
    richard_edwards wrote: All 10's! Again! UG, sort it!
    I promise to do something with our rating system. If anybody has any suggestions - PM to me please.
    StewieSwan
    Hahaha. Plays anything? Yeah right. Also, you'd think he'd get a better amp after 5 years
    justinb904
    Dimebag R.I.P. wrote: What is the tuning for an 8 string anyway?
    F# B E A D G b e in standard or you could do drop E but unless you find an 8 string with a longer neck, say 28.5"+ tuning lower would sound like limp mud I personally prefer 7's over 8's... 8 is just too many strings and too low for my liking though I do like Mashuggah's use of them
    HereticHammer01
    Giving it all tens means we don't know in what ways it is worse than other guitars so kinda defeats the purpose of the review...
    filthylittleboy
    First of all, that is the absolute perfect bridge. I can't say that I've seen anything like it, for a fixed bridge. It must be so comfortable to play with, and your action/intonation must be awesome. I would never get an 8 string though, because it's simply too damn low. I would also never ever ever ever use that amp.... but holy shit, the arpeggio's that you could play with that guitar must be insane.....
    jtbull
    mongo_man
    it's just pathetic... fanboys never dearing to criticise, always dropping them 10s. How can such review even give the slighest help to an interesting viewer? The second I see a 10/10 I get the idea of "just another noobie worshiping his new guitar, without the slighest idea of knowing how to review a guitar".
    mongo_man
    Why do you always carry a backup if you give Reliability & Durability 10/10? How can you judge the sound out of a Spider III..?
    Cartilage
    filthylittleboy wrote: kai2demax wrote: lol. spider III. First. Im surprised that you got an 8 string. though i must wonder about the EMG 808 tone. i dont really like EMG's, but ive always wondered how they sound in the 8 string. oh well. just have to wait for another review Jeff Loomis's guitar uses emg 707's and they're ****ing awesome, if you've heard his playing. I'm sure the 808's are just as good.
    do remember that half of the tone comes from Loomis' stunning skills, so until you try them yourself you'll probably never really know how good they are.
    CreepingxDeth
    it seems like people like to protect there investments a little to much. esspecially when a lower grade guitar gets a better reveiw then the high end one. but a perfect 10 for this? maybe if youve been playing a silvetone for 4 and a half years.
    MossyMan
    Tyler Durden
    UG should automatically REJECT ANY REVIEW with all 10's. Try writing an insightfull helpfull review, instead of a biased review rating it all 10's.
    iTzMaTT
    Running through a Spider III? All 10's? Kinda sketchy if you ask me...
    aznrockerdude
    jtbull wrote: that kind of dough for this you could buy 2 used charvel or peavey tracers. i would pu them up against this any day of the week or a newer esp or high end ltd
    yeah, because 8-string guitars should be compared to higher end 6 string guitars *roll eyes*
    model_15
    model_15
    wafl
    A couple o' things. why does everyone hate the spider IIIs, they are good amps for the price and not everyone can afford the nice crap. what the hell are rents and i love freezies and waffles together
    filthylittleboy