RG2550EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2550EX

Purchased from: http://www.guitar.com.au

I'm mostly into playing metal, and this guitar is amazing when it comes to it. Even on my 15w Sammick practice amp, it has a nice crunch to the overdrive and has a great sound. It doesn't make any unwanted buzzing or interference on the humbuckers, and I have only ever experienced humming on the single coil, and that was on a 120 watt speaker box with volume up all the way. It has a great variety of sounds, with crisp clean playing on the bridge humbucker, to almost acoustic sounds on the single coil.

I play mostly metal, so this guitar was a great match for me. I've been playing for about 4 years now, and I own another essex guitar (unknown model, cost me $250), and playing this is amazing to playing that. If it were stolen, then my insurance would pay for it, but yes I would buy it again, its an amazing guitar. I love the neck on it, it truly is a dream to play, and the floyd rose has kept my guitar in tune for 3 weeks now. I compared this to other BC Richs and other IBZ Prestiges, and this was a clear winner. This guitar has everything I want and need on it, and it is an amazing guitar.

This guitar will definately withstand live playing, and the entire guitar should last me a very long time, the strap buttons are solid, but I have replaced them with strap locks (just to be on the safe side). I can definatley depend on this guitar, and I would use it at a gig without a backup for sure. The finish is just as great as when I got it, and I doubt it will come off unless I went at it with a scalpel.

The guitar was set up perfectly when I got it, I took it down to my tutor and he said that there was nothing to be done to it. I adjusted the bridge pickup myself closer to the strings but they were set up well at the factory. When I got the guitar there were no flaws whatsoever in it, and I have not found any as yet, and I've owned it for about 2 months now.

My new RG2550E Prestige is an awesome guitar, it was made in 2005 in japan, it has 24 jumbo frets, with a Wizard prestige neck, which is one of the thinnest necks I've seen on a guitar, and helps you to stretch further and play faster. It has a rosewood finger board and the neck is a 5 piece maple/walnut. its a solid top, and its made from Basswood, which gives a great tone and sustain, particualarly for heavy metal. The basswood is extremely light aswell, which makes playing live a lot easier as you can play for a long time without feeling any aches or pains in your shoulders or neck. It has a "galaxy black" finish, which is a black coat with a kind of silver speckle ffect, like theyve run a bit of silver glitter through the paint. It has an "Edge Pro" bridge, which is basically a floyd rose, and is a great trem. For controls, you get your 5 way selector (silent too), volume and tone knobs. The guitar has 2 Dimarzio Overwound humbuckers, and a centre singe coil pickup. The overwounds have a great amount of sustain, and the single coil is great for acoustic songs. It has a locking nut, and I have tuned my guitar once in about 3 and a half weeks and it hasnt come out of tune yet. The guitar came with a hard case and tools for every part of the guitar.