RG2550Z review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2550Z

Price paid: € 1.1

Purchased from: 4Sound

I play everything from blues to heavy metal, and the guitar is a beast! I've owned it for a year, and the sound is nice! The IBZ pickups seems to be a bit muddy, when you use them for a full saturated sound. So I've changed the pick-ups to: Crunch Lab in the bridge, LiquiFire in the neck and a Jem-single-coil - all by DiMarzio of course. This made the guitar into a tone-MONSTER! The sustain were increased, more crunch were added, more clean distortion. The guitar screams now! The upgrade increased the toneoptions of this guitar! The IBZ has a full sound. A little beeffy, which I didn't liked that much. They fit classic rock very well! But that's not what I play. I use the guitar with a Marshall TSL60 head, and I boost the signal with a Wylde overdrive - Thise gives me enough gain! The tone is bright and hard (not cold, but hard like a Mesa Boogie tone), but that is caused by the pickup change. This is a minor thing of course. The guitar is just lovely to play! The neck is thin and easy to shred on and the guitar is balanced so well! (compared to my Les Paul, which I have to hold constantly, so it won't fall down. I can actually write this review of my Ibanez, without worring about it (yes, I sit and play on it, while I write). Anyways, with this setup I can go from a cranked bluesy tone to a heavy metal saturated tone! Lovely!

This guitar matches everything I need! Or, it dd not give me a Mesa Boogie, and that is what I need. But still, when my amp and guitar works together. Small baby notes starts to pop out of the amp. The tone is beautiful! It suits my playing very perfect! I've been playing for 2 years, and some months. But I bought this guitar after just one year of playing. I compared it to a Strat (which were the guitar I actually wanted to buy, but then I just had to play the Ibanez, and I felt in love instantly). If this guitar got stolen, I would by another, and better Ibanez or the same model. I love the neck. I love the variety of tones. The body. The edge Zero, but, but! I HATE the place the vol. Knob is placed! That f--cking knob ruins my palm muting on the higher strings. And the stock pickups. But that's everything. The guitar is a tank. And with the right pick-ups, a tone monster (a BETTER tonemonster! - 'cause the stock is not bad. I'm just very selective. A better place for tone/vol knobs would be perfect. I do not give 10 points, because there's nothing "PERFECT", but there is something "DAMN good"!

I've never gigged with this guitar, but I feel very safe with this guitar. Of course would a bring another guitar, just in case! But it would not be because of this guitar. It seems very reliable. And very solid! The finish is very thick, and it should last many years! (again, compared to my Les Paul which lost the gold-finnish on the pickups very fast). I changed the strap buttons to strap locks, just because I run and jump with my guitars. I think they would be good enough, but I never really used the stock straps. I changed the buttons to strap locks within the first week.

I don't remember the setup back then, but since ever never really changed it, or felt that I neeeded to, it must have been dammn good! I addjusted the pickups to add some sustain, and to lower the singlecoil a bit, so I didn't scratch it with my evil picking-hand! The Bridge is just perfect, when set up properly (VERY important! Before you start to whine about tuning-problems!) the guitar is just perfect. I do not tune my guitar very often, and I rape the strings and the Edge Zero. I love it!

Well. I'm not a technical genius, so I will go through this chapter very quick. The guitar is made in Japan, by Team J. Craft, just like all the RG guitars. It has 24 jumbo frets, basswood body, and Edge Zero tremolo and DiMarzio IBZ in both bridge, middle and neck position. These are passive pickups. The pickups are the worst thing on the guitar. But this can be changed!