RG2570EX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2570EX

Price paid: € 450

Purchased from: A guy who didn't need it anymore

This guitar is made to be heard! The combination of the guitar woods and DiMarzio pickups provide a clear, yet warm sound. The neck pickup gives a very warm clean tone, but is also suitable for a nasty amount of distortion, without getting muddy. The single coil in the middle has less output than the two humbuckers, but delivers a clear tone that easily cuts through the mix. The bridge pickup has a nice bite for a heavy distorted rhythm sound. The guitar has a very long sustain, especially in the neck humbucker, which you maybe wouldn't suspect from a basswood guitar with a floyd. I play mainly rock music, varying from Gary Moore to Satch and Vai. Also I do some bluesy and jazzy stuff, like SRV and Crowded House. The guitar suits them all perfectly.

I've been playing for a good nine years by now, and I have played/borrowed/owned various guitars. I've also played a newer RG1570 Prestige model, equipped with the Collet Knobs and the Edge Zero bridge, but with Ibanez V7/S1/V8 pickups. The DiMarzios this guitar has are way better. The Edge Zero bridge seems to be better, but I prefer to set up my trem with an old-fashioned screwdriver. The Edge Pro on this one does the job just as well. If this one would get stolen, I'd definitely buy another Ibanez. I just love the way they play. It's a pity this guitar isn't produced anymore. Things I really love about this guitar are the Wizard Prestige neck, which I find more comfortable than the newer Super Wizard HP necks on the newer Prestige models, the pickups, and the Royal Blue Flat finish. It's striking! A thing I don't like about this guitar is the fact that the knobs bear no marking. I fixed that in Satch style: with a piece of white tape. Also the squeaking trem isn't a big pro. But nothing that can't be fixed.

This axe will surely withstand gigging, although I would never do a gig without a backup. The finish will dent when you drop it, but you'll have that with all guitars. I have straplocks on mine. They're an absolute must-have on every axe: you can do almost everything with your guitar and the strap ain't going nowhere. The volume and tone knobs are made of massive steel. They're put on a pin and are fixed with a screw through the side so it won't come off. They're not as good as the Collet Knobs the newer Prestige models have, but they're much sturdier than the standard knobs you will find on the lower-end guitars. The input of this guitar is a thing you gonna love. Its not like the standard Fender and Gibson inputs fixed with a screw that comes off after time. This thing will never get loose.

Since I got the guitar second-hand I cannot say anything about the factory setup, but it's still in perfect condition. Only flaws are some dents in the finish (but it's being used, so you'll get that anyways). Also the nut locks are a little rusty. Apart from that the guitar is as good as new. The tremolo squeaks a little, but that can be fixed. For a second-hand guitar it's in an excellent state.

Mine is a Japan made RG2570EX RBF from 2004. It's got 24 jumbo frets, which I find really comfortable. It's equipped with a 3pc. Maple Wizard Prestige neck with rosewood fingerboard and a solid basswood body. It has a HSH pickup configuration, with three passive DiMarzio/Ibz pickups. Like all RG models with a HSH config, it has one master volume control, one master tone control and a five-way lever. It has the Ibanez Edge Pro floyd-style bridge and standard Gotoh tuners.

BennyBigBollock
    Great review, I love Ibanez rgs, Ibanez are my go to brand! but there is only one thing that disappoints about the guitar is middle single coil pick-up. The middle pick-up is usually designed to work well with coil tapped humbuckers which sounds great don't get me wrong but the single coil by itself it just kind of average sounding.
    mattman25
    I got the Ibanez RG2570e or z i cant remember but they are all pretty much the same except for a few visual differences. I think the neck is one of the greatest parts of the guitar ultrathin wizard neck. Imo a very amazing guitar although the middle pickup is kinda pathetic but I don't know if a replacement would any good either.
    eddie.osteraker
    I have a problem with my RG2570EX . The Low pro Bridge tremolo system get out of tune when I use it. A "guitar doctor" have tried and checked the guitar and he cant find any foult or problem. Another problem i have is the frets start to be so wared so i cant have the string setup as low as before.. (haved the guitar 11 years now) sorry for my bad english