RG270DX review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Ibanez: RG270DX

Purchased from: Guitarworks in Calgary, Alberta

I play lots of metal but like to play softer stuff too, I love the crunchy sound I get out of the guitar I will play it over my Fender Strat (american made) for rock ANYDAY. Im running it to a Boss ME-30 then to a crybaby to my Fender ultimate chorus amp. the single coil pickup hums like there is no tomorrow. It is near useless there is so much feedback especially with distortion. I know they are supposed to hum but its really bad. The humbuckers are killer. Low end crunch just pounds through on the palm muting and it shreds nicely at the high end of the fretboard with clarity.

If you are looking for a guitar with tremolo dont even look at this thing. Might as well get a normal fastened bridge cuz this one is useless. Works for a good couple months then the plastic washer loses its grip in the back and will never hold tight again. I love the sound but hate the hum of the single ciol pickup and the fact that the locking system doesnt keep it in tune, my Fender Strat holds in tune better with it's tremolo. Compared to a lot of guitars I've played, the sound and quality (other than the listed things above) is exceptional. Sounds great now I dont use the tremolo and it meets all of my needs. Dont reccomend it to someone wanting a tremolo at all. Good sound.

The guitar plays well as long as I keep it off the middle Switch which I happen to like the sound of that pickup selection. The hard ware is good, except the floyd rose tremolo is junk. It has been useless since after 3 months of use. When the bar is depressed there is "freeplay" in the bar and I get weird clicking sounds, when I try for a bomb or even some tremolo I get clunking sounds and then the sounds quickly fades into feedback. The reason I bought the guitar was for the floyd rose (I traded in me Gibson SG becasue I wanted a floyd rose so bad) and I cant believe the crap I got. I went to the shop and they said it cant be fixed. Good quality hardware my @$$! the strap bold on the body side broke off too. And no I dont jump around with my guitar. I would play it on stage, but would not attempt to use the tremolo as it goes out of tune with one wiggle of the bar (nice locking system :(. Other than the tremolo I am happy with everything else.

The action was WAY too high from the factory. I lowered it a while after I bought it and like it so much more now. Noisy pickup selector when switching to the single coil (mid travel of the toggle Switch). Everything else was good and in perfect working order.

24 fret, h/s/h, rosewood fretboard, satin top, Strat style body, floyd rose locking tremolo, thin neck, 5 way selector.