RG270DX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG270DX

Purchased from: eBay

Holy crap where do I begin. This guitar sounds amazing. I play every kind of style from heavy rock like Pantera, Tool, Metallica and Megadeth to soft clean tone stuff like the Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin, Steve Ray Vaughan and everything in between. And let me tell you, it sounds great no matter what I play. I guess its aimed towards the heavier type of soungs, considering the double humbuckers on here, but it sounds great with a clean tone or with low gain on that middle pickup. Sweet. I have a Roland Cube 30 and I messed around with all the amp types from acoustic to heavy distortion and threw in some flanger, phaser, chorus, delay, reverb. You name it it all sounds crisp and clear.

I've been playing for 7 months but dont let that be a factor in this review. I learned quickly and can play pretty much anything I set my mind to, and I know guitars. I've played many kinds from the lowly squire to the allmighty Gibson Les Paul (which I dont care for much). I also own a Jackson guitar but this Ibanez sounds so sweet compared to it. I played my friends Ibanez 570 as well, and it sounds almost identical, but I'm sure the 570 is more durable or something like that since it costs alot more. I'm sure I don't have to waste time comparing it to my Squire Strat. Overall, I love any Ibanez guitar, especially the RG series. I prefer them over anything and everything. I will eventually buy a Jem when I play for a while longer, but I can see this guitar lasting until then and past that. This guitar is a great buy and I recommend it to anyone, from the newbie to the pro. I know its just a RG270DX, but I've played really good "high end" guitars and this is just as good in my opinion. Go buy it now. Anyone want a Jackson guitar? I'm selling mine now. No need for it.

I haven't "gigged" with this guitar yet but I dont see why I wouldn't. Everything seems reliable on here. I don't know why everyone complains about the floyd rose tremelo system and this type of bridge. It never goes out of tune when I slam on that wammy bar. I bend it until the strings are like cooked spaghetti and they bounce right back into shape. Either those people didnt bother to read the instructions (which tells you how to lock the strings down so they dont go out of tune!) or they have a faulty nut lock. but I doubt that the latter is true. I only bring one pen to an exam worth 35% of my mark, so why would I bring another guitar to a gig? I trust it without a doubt.

Out of the box the action was a little low by the thinner strings but I adjusted that quickly with the tools they supplied. Then I realized I had set it too high for my liking so I lowered it again. Kinda pointless. The pickups were a good height, a little low now that I look at it, but I can raise them no problem in order for longer sustain. It can in excellent condition but I was perplexed to see that the headstock was attatched to the neck with a totally seperate peice of wood. I have no idea why that is, but it doesn't pose any threat right now but I would feel better knowing that it were one solid peice of wood. The finish is nicely polished, strings are nice and clean. A little bit of dust on it I guess, but that usless information. It's plays awesome and thats what counts.

I assume it was made in 2004 but I can't be sure. It's brand new though. On the back of the headstock it says made is Korea. It has 24 frets, a super thin Wizard II neck thats incredibly fast and most importantly, an officially licensed floyd rose tremelo system. It black, has a 5 way selector between a neck humbucker, and bridge humbucker and a central single coil. Oh and its got a locking nut which is key to keeping this guitar in tune whilst using the wammy bar. All in all, this guitar has everything I need and more.