RG270DX review by Ibanez

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Ibanez: RG270DX

Purchased from: Sounds Great

When jamming, warming up or just having some fun I am an ecclectic player. Be it Death Metal, Blues, Neo-Classical/Shred, Thrash or just straight chord strumming this guitar has a pleasant and flexible tone. However, I fitted it with a Seymour Duncan "Dimebucker" on the bridge and know it sounds almighty. This pickup, I must add, is exclusively for metal as it is of extremely high output which dosn't bode well with a clean sound. The standard Ibanez pickup on the bridge is ideal and provides a very clean distortion which is great for tapping, legato and sweep picking but is not so good for artificial harmonics (I leave them down to Dime). String it right and you have a great sounding, studio worthy guitar.

In my band, Misanthropic Butchery, I play technical groove death metal. This a progressive style of metal with brutal elements. As you can imagine this entails insane endurance and speed. Our solo's are partly classic Shred influenced (Gilbert, Malmsteen, Angelo) and our riffs are influenced by more comtempory guitarists(Suicmez, Romeo, Waters). I have been playing for seven years and this is the only axe I own, and it seriously does the trick. It is easy and fun to play. Sadly, there is something about this guitar that prevents me from giving it an ten. I can describe it only by saying this, it is not a smooth guitar to play. When you see MAB or Mike Romeo shredding, their guitars work with them and their playing is fluid. This is, odviously, down to practise but also due to a sick as hell guitar. The RG is not sick as hell. It is satisfactory, but better than most of similar price. I have been playing it for maybe 2 1/2 months and have already outgrown it. For Beginner to Intermediate it is excellent. For advanced/progressive players it is good, not awesome.

I am confident in this guitar for Live performance. It's sleak body, as mentioned earlier, allows full maneouverability. When playing standing up I like to, for un-protenteous reasons, adjust the position of the guitar (i.e. hold it so the neck is vertical or leaning back so the top of the body sticks out) as so I can nail them tricky riffs, which are more than acheivable in a sitting position. The strap buttons are solid. The finish is excellent due to it's rhobustness and it is yet to recieve a scratch. This is also due to carefullness, but a quality finish is instrumental (pardon the pun) in keeping a guitar "scratch free" in the first place.

Despite the reputation of this axe's country of origin, it is a surprisingly well made instrument. It's thin neck is very accessable, it's slim body is confortable stood up or down. The action is adjustable (thanks to our friend Floyd). When I purchased it, second hand, the action was too high. After taking the back plate off and adjusting the screws that alter Vibrato angle and adjusting the level of the bridge I acheived a satisfactory action. The only notable flaw in construction is that fact that the mechanics of the output socket rattle around. This is fixable, but it's not an issue that requires immediate attention.

Xo0phoenix0oX
    I owned one of these and hated it. The dumbed down floyd roses they put on these things are impossible and not reliable at all. But hey, it's a low end guitar, what do you really want? Ibanez makes good guitars, but as with anything, you get what you pay for I suppose.
    noblin_the_gobl
    Shouldn't worry about the rusty pu, its normal and doesnt affect the tone. I have had no problems with it going out of tune, but I have modified mine fairly heavily. To fix most problems with tuning/intonation/string snapping, try changing to carbon saddles (pricey and wear out quick but much more reliable), and have the thing set up by a pro. A quick fret re-dress and skilled trem set up make this a world class instrument, I've put EMG-81's in mine as well to seal the deal. This great guitar proves you don't need to spend thousands to get a quality instrument, you just need the sense to have it set up right.
    Pischlar
    After the proper adjustments are made, this guitar plays well - shredding is definitely possible. The stock humbuckers are utter garbage. I found that they have limited clarity. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Dimarzio X2N and the neck pickup with a Dimarzio Evolution. Similar to other users, I've had problems with the guitar going out of tune easily. Changing the nut locks solved this problem, I suggest others to do the same.
    FearBefore
    I have this guitar, only not the DX. My floyd is a pain, i ended up jamming some little blocks of wood into the back so it acts as a fixed bridge and removed the lock nuts. CAn't fault the guitar now really, except the pickups, maybe one day i'll change them. The pure beauty of this guitar is the neck. It's insanely fast and a perfect fit (for me at least) My guitar was set up by a pro, and has insanely low action with no buzz. I wouldn't sell this for the world now. Great guitar.