RG2EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2EX1

This guitar fits my style of music with room to give. I favor playing metal mainly, but dip in hard rock and classic rock occasionally. For playing music such as Lamb Of God, Children Of Bodom, Slayer, and Metallica, this guitar gives an amazing performance. I use this guitar with a Fender 212FMR(100 watt), and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Distortion pedal. This guitar has a wonderful distorted sound, very bassy. However, if you kick off the distortion, you can also get a crisp, clean sound.

This is an instrument suitable for any style of music. Although it is aimed toward playing metal, it can pull off a wide range of sounds. I have been playing for a little over a year, but I play like 2 hours a day so I progress fast. I own about 7 other guitars, including a Sakooa SG from the '60s, some unnamed Les Paul, a Pearl River EG8, and a Johnson Telecaster. This guitar by far puts all the others to shame, and I'm going to sell my other guitars for I don't need them. If this guitar was stolen, I might buy it again. The only reason I may buy something else is because I am partial to the Flying-V shape. In the event that someone stole my baby, I would hunt them down and cut off their fingers one by one. Then I would make them eat their fingers until they choked to death. Compared to the other guitars both of this price range and higher, this guitar was clearly the most suitable for me. I would never sell this guitar, or throw it away.

I have owned this guitar for about a year now, and it is a very durable instrument. Although I haven't done any Live performances with this, I would say it would withstand many performances. I have had many band practices and hours of jams on this, and I have to say the only thing that has happened has been a couple broken strings. Every thing on this guitar seems like it will endure for years to come, especially the finish. I have dropped this guitar many times, bumped it against things, etc, and it does not dent, or chip. Also, even though there is no locking tuners, this guitar stays in tune, for weeks at a time. The strap buttons are very solid, I had to tighten them once with a screwdriver, but after that they remained stationary. This is a very dependable guitar, but I wouldn't use it at a gig without a backup in case I broke a string.

Factory Set up was decent. When I first bought this guitar I didn't know much about set ups, but learned how to do that kind of thing. The pickups were adjusted to about midrange, bridge low(slightly twangy). There was no real flaws to this guitar that couldn't be adjusted through a couple turns of a screwdriver or allan wrench.

This is my first serious guitar purchase, well, aside from a Johnson Telecaster, but I don't consider that serious. I bought this guitar because I needed an upgrade from my Johnson, and I was tired of playing on 22 frets. Now that you guys have my little background story, I'll give you the details on this fine piece of musical instrument. This guitar comes with a solid basswood body, 24 extra jumbo frets, and a rosewood neck(I think). It has an indestructible finish, and it's really shiny. Has no pickguard, but it looks nicer that way. This guitar is available in both White and Black finishes, I have the black one. Obviously, the body style is the double cutout RG, probably Ibanez most famous. Also, the bridge, I don't know what kind it is, but I like it, very easy to adjust with an allan wrench, and is adjustable on both sides of the string. The bridge is string-thru style. Comes with fairly decent EMG designed pickups, non-active of course. I replaced my bridge pickup with an EMG-HZ H1, which does the job better. Comes Standard with HH configuration, non locking tuners. I didn't get any accesories with mine, but I think I bought the floor model, it's been awhile.

LetsGoRedskins
    SMK626 wrote: ihavnofingrprnt wrote: I have a black one with white trim, this is my go to guitar.i personally have mixed reviews about guitar center as they didnt want t fix the loose jack input guitar center is crap. the one here is racist.(thats right, one of the employee's happen to be racist) and they always try and rip me off and give me bad aditude i like sam ash,and that where i tried this guitar. its really nice for the price but the bridge is irratating
    I have the black with white trim, everything is good for the price. The guitar is pretty damn basic, no whammy bar, no locking system. The pickups are pretty good if you have a decent amp- my front end of my Kustom Quad Jr. 100 half stack has a Boss GE-7 EQ running through the FX loop and it sounds pretty wicked. Although im thinking of upgrading the pickups to something better. Few complaints of the guitar: jack input gets loose quickly, bottom end of the nut is jagged and cuts your finger while fretting the high b and e strings, sustain is crap- you have to fight for an extended note (why im upgrading pickups). Otherwise good guitar for the price. By the way guitar center is crap and I cant believe people who all love to do the same thing, making music, would be hating on each other
    madguyposerhomi
    does this geeter have super low action?and i mean like laying right on the 12th fret low action(hopefully thats possible),or do you have to tweak it which im fine with, just need to know how and if it would have fret buzz if i did so.
    wildchild6660
    Jkobb13 wrote: Stay away from the Ibanez acoustics though. They don't perform for their price.
    Yeah. i suggest Yamaha acoustic, especially if you're a beginner
    Emgguitarist15
    i have the black one and it says on the back of the headstock RG2EX1, so whatever to those saying differently. And this guitar is OK but my Ibanez S Prestige kills it, that is if you want to spend another thousand dollars.
    Rodney Rocket
    This axe rocks black beauty! Best budget guitar. Have to have another one would like to buy a RGT6EXFXBK next time.