RG2EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2EX1

I play mostly Christian Melodic-Death/Neo-Classical metal fused with Metalcore and Death Metal, and this guitar does great for that style. I use a Roland Cube 60 with a DigiTech RP50 processor, and this guitar puts out a In Flames-esque sound. It is completely noiseless too. Distorted, this guitar can sound like the apocalpse is happening write now, but when you turn off the distortion, you can get a jazzy-like tone and also sounds very beautiful with an acoustic simulator. Although the stock pickups sound great, I swapped them for EMG 81 and 85's, but got only a 25% better sound, whitch means that the stock ones are very good.

I play metal, like I said, and being a superstrat, it's a perfect match. I have been playing for about 4 to 5 years. Before this God-send, I had a shitty Squire Strat. If it were lost/stolen, I would freak out, because I have no way to get money to get another. I love the speed and upper fret access, but I hate the neck wood and the fret inlays. I wish it had the Jackson Dinky style inlays. This is an amazing guitar and I highly reccomend it!

Although I am 12 and have never played a show, this guitar seems to hold up well. It seemws like it will last a long time. Like I said, I have never played a show but have had a few band practices and it held up well. The finish has no wear at all. I would definetley use it at a gig with out a backup because I don't have a backup!

To my suprise, when I got out of Guitar Center, this guitar was in perfect Standard tuning, which was a great suprise. The finish gets fingerprinted very easily though. The pickups were adjusted very well. I have not found any flaws in the bridge or the inotation yet, and I have had this axe for about 4 and a half months. The strings that are factory installed suck. I suggest getting some Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkies. The work well with this rig.

The Ibanez RG2EX1 was made in Japan I think. I don't know when. Maybe 2006? It has 24 Jumbo Frets, and because of the Wizard II, upper fret accses is easy. On the body, it has Basswood and the neck is made out of maple. The neck is very fast and the basswood has hella sustain. It is a superstrat, so it is made for metal. It has a fixed bridge so no tremolo, but I don't really need one anyways. It is equipped with passive humbuckers that are designed by EMG, but I swapped them for Active EMG's. It has a 3-way selector switch and 1 volume and tone knobs. The tuners are non-locking. This guitar serves great for neo-classical sweeps and shredding.

burnthedevice
    I bought this guitar at Guitar Center last week for $299. The fact that I bought an Ibanez frankly surprised the hell outta me. Here's the thing: I primarily play blues and "classic rock"...but I also LOVE to play thrash! Obviously, this guitar was born to play metal. The neck, action, and (most importantly for me) the beautifully smooth bridge practically BEG to be thrashed upon...and when you do, this guitar doesn't disappoint. (At least it didn't disappoint me.) Now, for the blues playing factor: No,this guitar isn't *ideal* for playing blues or classic rock (you can pretty much tell that by its appearance, if nothing else)...but it IS a guitar, and as such, CAN be used to play that kind of music. The sound you get for bluesy rock isn't that great...but that can be remedied (in my case at least) by yanking the neck humbucker and replacing it with a very bluesy-sounding single-coil pickup. I've found that although I'm not accustomed to playing blues licks on a guitar with such low action, it seems to be altering the way I play...for the better, I think. I've noticed I'm using alot more upstrokes than I used to, resulting in a smoother sound. Actually, I don't know for sure if it's the action or what that's causing me to do that...I'm just reporting what happened. I haven't played much electric since the classic rock/blues band I was in a few years ago broke up, and sold all my Fender Mexican and American made Strats along the way to support my former habits until all I had left was a beat-up $149 Yamaha Pacifica that wouldn't stay in tune. Since I've come to and gotten my life back, I've met alot of people who want to jam: some to blues/rock and some to old school thrash. My point is that if necessary, I'd feel comfortable that this guitar can cover me at both ends of the musical spectrum...definitely at the thrash end, and competently enough at the blues end, at least until I can afford to buy a new Fender. Finally, some random notes, and a question: --The pickup placement on this guitar is perfect (for me) when it comes to playing thrash rhythms...wide open in the middle. --This guitar stays in tune. (I have the non-tremolo model.) --Mine is black with a cream-colored trim. I'm thinking it was made in 2007. Anyone know for sure?