RG2EX1 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: RG2EX1

Purchased from: Guitar Center (Used Section)

It's really a hard rock/metal guitar but it's extremely versatile. I play punk, metal, rock and pop and she suits all four perfectly. I use a 60 watt Fender solid state combo amp with it, Super easy to dial in metal and classic rock sounds. You can get some interesting sounds from picking behind the nut but they're very shrill, you can get a really ghostly reverb from hammering on it's horns. Stock pickups are a little too muddy for me, changing them out for either a Seymour JB set or some Gibson Dirty Fingers.

I love this guitar and use her for everything, after five years of playing I couldn't imagine a better guitar to start off with. If lost her I couldn't be more upset I don't think I could replace her, I feel too much of a connection to it. I love her sound and how she plays and looks... Wouldn't mind a better tone and volume knob set up and would love if I could get some more Tom Morello-ish sounds on it without having to bang on her with an allen wrench or buy an army of pedals.

This guitar is my F***ing workhorse, I've put her through so much sh** and she's still the guitar I bought three years ago, if not better. I play it live, doesn't compete with a high end rig of course, but most venues make the clearest rigs sound like sh** anyway, might as well save your money unless you're charging thirty bucks a ticket.

Bought it used, near perfect with some (cosmetic) rust damage (when you live in seattle, it happens to damn near everything eventually). The set up was amazing but was probably handled by a techy at the store or by the previous owner. This model has the amazing action and play ability I have come to expect from Ibanez.

24 frets, Black (later repainted blonde and stickerbombed kinda like original jerry cantrel rampage), Basswoodbody and maple neck, rosewood fretboard, fixed bridge (considering installing bigsby), passive pickups, 3 way selector, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, I Bought with slight rust damage otherwise perfect condition. Great features for a low/mid level guitar. I feel it has a "turn it up to ten and run with it" vibe. It's a got a great price to value ratio at it's retail price, insane at the price I found it at.

mydian
    So you're saying a review shouldn't include whether or not a guitar that's made for a particular genre is versatile? I'd rather know that it is then find out the hard way that it's not. You opinion is uncredible. And no that's not a word but it sounds good lol.
    Slayton101
    Every mother ****ing electric guitar review includes "it's made for X style of music but it's so versatile it can do all other styles as well". It's getting old and unbelievable at this point and makes the review that includes it very uncredible. (There is a slight possiblity I just created a word in the previous sentence).